What's new

Are S Mint Nickels unusual finds for CRHing?

hokiemojo

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
462
Reaction score
110
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been through about 700 in nickels now. I don't always look at mintmarks, but I came accross the first S mintmark that I noticed. A 1970S. Obviously a keeper for me since I've never found one, but are these unusual in hunting? Thanks everyone!
 
Upvote 0
No. Unfortunately many S nickels are not proof and not rare. they made them for a few years just like the D nickels. So they are not worth saving ... except for your first one of course, like you did. :-)
 
Thanks JRF. I am working on improving my search routine to start looking at mint marks more. they certainly stand out when searching 1/2's, but I never noticed the nickels. I'm getting better at picking out important stuff though. Thanks again for the advice!
 
As you do more nickels you'll be amazed at how many 1968 - 1970 S nickles you come across. The proofs are really the only ones worth saving.
 
The only nickel I'm missing is a '68-S. I collect them; I live on the east coast, so for me it's a little unusual, but I don't usually hunt nickels...
 
While 1968-1970 are not, all Jefferson Nickels dated 1971 or later, with the S mintmark, are Proof coins. I have found 2 1982s and a 1998s, you can tell right away by their finish that they are proofs. Being circulated, on a good day, they are probably worth 5 cents.
 
But they are so darn purrrty
 
They are not rare, but you can keep them if you want to.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom