Are these pieces petrified wood?

Doug010255

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2022
Posted this earlier under the "What is it" forum and it was recommended that I repost under the fossil forum. So here goes. Curious to know if these pieces are in fact petrified wood. Found in Ohio. Did receive some earlier good comments. Pieces range from between 12" and 20" and weigh between 20 - 40 pounds depending on the piece. Four different pieces in the photos plus the end of one of them. It was suggested that I look for growth rings on the ends but I cannot tell because the ends are not flat as shown in the last photo. Any comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2924.JPG
    IMG_2924.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 49

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted this earlier under the "What is it" forum and it was recommended that I repost under the fossil forum. So here goes. Curious to know if these pieces are in fact petrified wood. Found in Ohio. Did receive some earlier good comments. Pieces range from between 12" and 20" and weigh between 20 - 40 pounds depending on the piece. Four different pieces in the photos plus the end of one of them. It was suggested that I look for growth rings on the ends but I cannot tell because the ends are not flat as shown in the last photo. Any comments are appreciated.
Doug I’m no expert on the matter but that would be my guess.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
At first look I'd say they all could be except the last one. It may be vesicular basalt. A look at the end of each would give a hint of ring patterns.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first four photos appear to be petrified wood to me. I'm not expert but have fund pieces of petrified wood in our surrounding mountains. The picture of the end appears to me to be more of something of volcanic origin... lots of that around my area, also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread