Are these worth keeping? ( not silver )

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I would probably keep them because of the low mintage figures for the Northern Mariana Islands coins:

Denver Philadelphia Total
37,600,000 35,200,000 72,800,000

but they still probably don't have much value over face - esp. since all the ATB quarters have mintages that are slighter lower. But the ATB quarters seem to be real hard to find in circulation. Have you found any/many of those?

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Value is in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of coins that you will find by searching boxes which will sell for a premium on craig's list and ebay. At my local coin store they sell for 50 cents in Mint condition. It all depends on what you want to do? Create a collection, find coins to sell to others right now for profit, find coins to hold on to for greater return in future. Nearly any mint state coin can be sold for premium over face on ebay.

The one thing I would dissaude you from is collecting copper/nickel coins out of circulation thinking they will be worth more in future. It will take a long time and is not the best use of your money.

Case in point. In 1959 if you had gone to a bank and purchased $1 of mint state jefferson nickels (no mint mark, low mintage under 20 million) and put them away for the future. Then fast foward to 2011, they are now worth 50 cents each, your $1 is now worth $10! But had you bought one oz of silver for a dollar that would be worth $30-$50 depending on when you sold it this year. Better still, had you bought Exxon stock or ATT or other blue chips you likely would have done even better!

HH!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIhunter said:
Value is in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of coins that you will find by searching boxes which will sell for a premium on craig's list and ebay. At my local coin store they sell for 50 cents in Mint condition. It all depends on what you want to do? Create a collection, find coins to sell to others right now for profit, find coins to hold on to for greater return in future. Nearly any mint state coin can be sold for premium over face on ebay.

The one thing I would dissaude you from is collecting copper/nickel coins out of circulation thinking they will be worth more in future. It will take a long time and is not the best use of your money.

Case in point. In 1959 if you had gone to a bank and purchased $1 of mint state jefferson nickels (no mint mark, low mintage under 20 million) and put them away for the future. Then fast foward to 2011, they are now worth 50 cents each, your $1 is now worth $10! But had you bought one oz of silver for a dollar that would be worth $30-$50 depending on when you sold it this year. Better still, had you bought Exxon stock or ATT or other blue chips you likely would have done even better!

HH!

What's that old saying.... "Past performance is not indicative of future results". :wink: Up until this year, those people who hoarded silver in '64 lost money too. And some of them may still have lost money even with this year's huge run up in prices. But you would be hard pressed to find someone today who would chastise those original hoarders. Every one of us dreams of having been aware enough back then (or have been born) to have been able to grab as much silver as possible.

I don't recommend putting all of your money in copper pennies (or even silver for that matter). But I see nothing wrong with taking a "gamble" on hoarding a little copper. Who knows, it could skyrocket to 10X face value in the next 10 years. And if it does, you'll be mighty glad you've got that 50 gallon barrel full of copper to sell. And if it doesn't? Oh well, the only thing you lose is the lost investment opportunity. And in this type of market, that isn't much to worry about.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I agree the metals are a reasonable investment but when it comes to numismatics, your best bet is with rare high grade (>MS65) coins, not the kind you find in a box at a bank. If you track their prices they have continued to rise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread