Are you allowed to go through barb wire fencing to prospect an area?

discordia

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok. You driving through a pretty remote area and around you is nature. There are fences like this on the side of the road.

barbed%20wire%2005.jpg

Now it's likely it could be ranch property or something similar, yet there isn't much around but nature. On road where there aren't many cars, possibly a dirt road. Say I go through one of these fences to access a creek or river and pan for gold there. Do you think anyone would care? Could I be harassed by park rangers or someone who owns the property? What if there aren't any signs? Maybe it's just to keep cattle or animals out of the road or from leaving a very large area of property? Please help because I'm looking at areas on google maps I want to prospect but there are these damned fences even though there is nothing around for miles.

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think thats part of the original question probably. When you know land is public and it is fenced off by water boards and regional parks. It doesn't seem like it would be trespassing because the land is clearly public or owned by a public agency. So why is barbed wire preventing me from even hiking in the area? Why can't I access it anywhere along its perimeter? I think are the questions OP may have been trying to ask in a different way. These rules bother and confuse me too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread