Are you crazy?

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening everyone, I thought about how people react to my response to them when they ask about my trips out west. The surprise look on their faces is priceless and worthy of the skeptic's hall of fame. They ask why I search the desert and creek beds for my fortune and if I'm going to strike it rich. I laugh and tell them it's good therapy for a crazy old man to walk around the desert looking for gold.

Upvote 0

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

When time grows short, every moment is precious. Adventure in life is hard to come by. What is more adventurous and fun than being out in nature's glory looking for something that is hard to find? Finding is not important. Being in the moment is, I think, what they call Kronos Time. Expanded time of pure enjoyment. Something like that anyway. I know of what you speak.

Regards to all, Thurman

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When life itself is nearly taken away you appreciate every second of everyday. Those skeptics don't realize that time spent in the wild is indeed striking it rich.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not crazy at all..... Everyone that posted has the reasons. I'm not all that old...42..(and act 12 ...so my wife tells me.:dontknow:).And life throws some curve balls!! Do what you enjoy! To me what your talking about sounds more sane to me than the "normal" person. They are the crazy ones!:occasion14: I can't wait to just go sit or wander around the woods next. The quiet, looking at everything even down to the soil, exploring etc......Just peaceful.

If I had a choice of a cruise or a trip camping? I'd pick camping! There is no other escape like it. what your talking about is the same thing. Hopefully one day I'll be able to go walk in the desert.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been crazy for decades. Just ask my cats! I simply like getting outside and playing in the dirt. Seeing wild critters is a bonus!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i like it when i show people my finds,gold,coins or just stuff,the first question how much is it worth.i tell them i ready dont care.you wasted all that time and gas for that.that i ask them how much did they make sitting their ass watching tv. oh well ,just less people out there.
brad

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like it when i show people my finds,gold,coins or just stuff,the first question how much is it worth.i tell them i ready dont care.you wasted all that time and gas for that.that i ask them how much did they make sitting their ass watching tv. oh well ,just less people out there.
brad

I use to collect old pocket watches and many other things. The things that were the most important to me were things that had history, scarce, and had low value. People would always ask the same question..."How much is that worth..." They just didn't have the same passion or interest in that history. I have one from the 1700's I'd never sell and worth everything to me. There are only 3 or 4 known. 2 or 3 of them are in a museum.....Not worth more than a few hundred bucks....But the hunt, the interest in mechanical stuff, the history, etc....is the real value. Same with panning or anything else. I can't wait to take my Son panning this summer just to watch him or see his reactions...For the pictures and memories..not the gold.

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
pEoPlE sAy I’m KRaZy, sO I cHasEd tHEm ARoUnD wiTh cHicKeN bONeS AnD lOCkEd tHEM iN mY CEllAr

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not crazy. Time I have spent in the deserts of the American West are some of my favorite experiences. California, Arizona, Nevada, Eastern Washington and Oregon, southern Idaho, the high desert of Montana and Wyoming. I grew up in the rain forest of western Washington, so the privilege of seeing great distances, and the ground not covered with a mat of moss and brush, smelling sage and creosote bush, not mold, actually seeing the rocks and soil I was walking on, exotic creatures, not to mention it wasn't drizzling and the sun was shining, the blue sky, all was wonderful to me! How can you top that?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read an article the other day about a high school girl that shot her face off over a boy. Then they took a face off another girl that overdosed and did a face transplant which turned out disgustingly worse than before.
The doctors stood around and patted themselves on the back while the family hugged their frankenstein daughter and cheered that shes back again haha.

I dont think what we do falls in any category of crazy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread