What's new

Yuma, AZ area for prospecting?

Idazona45

Greenie
Joined
Jan 28, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
51
Golden Thread
0
Location
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm spending a couple of weeks down in Yuma, AZ next month working on my building lot and getting it ready for an RV. My folks winter down there and I have been visiting them every winter for a couple of weeks for the past few years.

Each trip down has included exploring the desert via a Jeep or 4Runner, exploring old mines, ghost towns, and picking up pretty rocks. I have never done any metal detecting or panning in the area. But I do have experience panning, metal detecting, and sluicing up around Prescott, AZ with some success.

This year, I thought it would be fun to do some prospecting in some of the recently exposed dry washes due to the historic flooding a few months ago. My plan is to find an area that will likely have some color, get to it via 4wd, fill some 5-gallon buckets with classified material that looks promising, then head back to town and process the material in my Keene sluice in my folk's driveway. The goal is to find enough color to pay for the fuel I spent getting out there and back, lol.

In doing some limited research, it seems like the Laguna Placer area just North of Yuma will be a good place to poke around.

Anyone familiar with the area have any other recommendations? Not looking to start a claim or get rich; I just want to have fun and introduce my girlfriend to prospecting. And the best way to get hooked on prospecting is getting color!

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
I'm spending a couple of weeks down in Yuma, AZ next month working on my building lot and getting it ready for an RV. My folks winter down there and I have been visiting them every winter for a couple of weeks for the past few years.

Each trip down has included exploring the desert via a Jeep or 4Runner, exploring old mines, ghost towns, and picking up pretty rocks. I have never done any metal detecting or panning in the area. But I do have experience panning, metal detecting, and sluicing up around Prescott, AZ with some success.

This year, I thought it would be fun to do some prospecting in some of the recently exposed dry washes due to the historic flooding a few months ago. My plan is to find an area that will likely have some color, get to it via 4wd, fill some 5-gallon buckets with classified material that looks promising, then head back to town and process the material in my Keene sluice in my folk's driveway. The goal is to find enough color to pay for the fuel I spent getting out there and back, lol.

In doing some limited research, it seems like the Laguna Placer area just North of Yuma will be a good place to poke around.

Anyone familiar with the area have any other recommendations? Not looking to start a claim or get rich; I just want to have fun and introduce my girlfriend to prospecting. And the best way to get hooked on prospecting is getting color!

Thanks!
Good place to start would be cross referencing with this.

BLM Reporting Application - Mineral & Land Records System Reports https://share.google/BFzS4HD9wHJdTwhh3
 
Thanks for posting this info pepperj ! Knowledge of the area your searching in is a SMART THING TO HAVE ! Knowing what is under current claim is so important to prevent the law being involved & mad claim owners !
 
Arizona was discovered 500 years ago;

I live 50 miles from the border. I discovered Arizona 40 plus years ago and immediately began Prospecting! :occasion14:

My advice... Go to the closest BLM office and get a map of land ownership covering your intended area of excursion.. It gives a general view of how the pie is divided.

If it has any hint of color or even a story about color, it was and has been claimed by layers of prospectors that precede you by generations and their descendants. If it was ever or is currently of any perceived real or imagined value, it has real valid mining claims OR imaginary claims under control of a pistol toten Nut Case.

OR if it is or was near water or a dry wash, early settlers patented the land under the Homestead Act. Ranchers are not usually very friendly with anyone on their ranch land flashing a metal detector, shovel or gold pan.

OR Any open ground that could possibly be used for Military training operations is/are routinely being actively or intermittently used for gunnery practice or war games. Military Police patrol Military reservations and live fire gunnery ranges 24/7.

OR keep in mind, BLM and State land covers the majority of the lands through-out the Southwest. Both agencies have "Rangers" that carry heat. They are "protecting" the "PUBLIC" lands under their management from the PUBLIC with law enforcement that make contact with visitors and inquire about what they are up to. A shovel, metal detector or Gold pan give them their clues.

OR Native Indian reservations that are not often very conspicuous. Native Indian lands are patrolled by Tribal Police. They are sovereign entities with their own arbitrary laws and regulations.

OR Border Patrol / Homeland Security officers that are sometimes overzealous and stop anyone that may appear to not belong there.

OR last but not least, the Criminal element known as smugglers, coyotes, mules and a few other miscreants.

OR I almost forgot, people migrating north looking for a better life known by otherwise politically correct names. They may need food or water and other goods or services.

OR Lately, male and female "Karens" - self proclaimed saviors out to save the World from any and all forms of doing anything contrary to their sense of social or political norms. :)

OR what we refer to as "County Mounties". They are in most cases your friend!

Arizona is a heck of a place! :)

- Geowizard
 
Last edited:
I'm spending a couple of weeks down in Yuma, AZ next month working on my building lot and getting it ready for an RV. My folks winter down there and I have been visiting them every winter for a couple of weeks for the past few years.

Each trip down has included exploring the desert via a Jeep or 4Runner, exploring old mines, ghost towns, and picking up pretty rocks. I have never done any metal detecting or panning in the area. But I do have experience panning, metal detecting, and sluicing up around Prescott, AZ with some success.

This year, I thought it would be fun to do some prospecting in some of the recently exposed dry washes due to the historic flooding a few months ago. My plan is to find an area that will likely have some color, get to it via 4wd, fill some 5-gallon buckets with classified material that looks promising, then head back to town and process the material in my Keene sluice in my folk's driveway. The goal is to find enough color to pay for the fuel I spent getting out there and back, lol.

In doing some limited research, it seems like the Laguna Placer area just North of Yuma will be a good place to poke around.

Anyone familiar with the area have any other recommendations? Not looking to start a claim or get rich; I just want to have fun and introduce my girlfriend to prospecting. And the best way to get hooked on prospecting is getting color!

Thanks!ou


You should join a club that has claims for members' use. If you go down there for a couple of weeks every year, it would be worth it to maintain a membership.
 
You should join a club that has claims for members' use. If you go down there for a couple of weeks every year, it would be worth it to maintain a membership.
I own a 560 acre GOLD mine in Alaska. A GOLD exploration company. Two mining companies and a Geophysical instrumentation company. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Geowizard
 
I own a 560 acre GOLD mine in Alaska. A GOLD exploration company. Two mining companies and a Geophysical instrumentation company. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Geowizard
Sorry, I clicked on the wrong quote. My comment was meant for the OP.
 
I know how it is to "know it all" and be a high testosterone indestructable Rambo prospector in AZ. :hello:
I ain't yo daddy either. I offer free advice to those that may benefit from an experienced, "been there done that" prospector. I am a teacher, not a preacher.

Listen or suffer the hard knox University learning curve.

And yes, there's more! :)

- Geowizard
 
You should join a club that has claims for members' use. If you go down there for a couple of weeks every year, it would be worth it to maintain a membership.
The danger in Southern Arizona s mules involved in drug smuggling and coyotes involved in human smuggling. Don't take my word for it. Read the news. They don't care about club memberships. They rest on the high ground where they can use binoculars and scout the surrounding area.

There is more.:)

- Geowizard
 
Poisonous snakes and Gila Monsters are ever-present. In most cases they strike without warning.
You will need immediate medical attention. Most deaths from scorpion and rattlesnake bites die in car accidents on the way to the hospital.

- Geowizard
 
Gila Monsters lock their jaws when they bite. Their bite is painful and poisonous. Victims have resorted to using tire tools and gasoline to pry their jaws and teeth apart - all to no avail. Not fun.

- Geowizard
 
I'm spending a couple of weeks down in Yuma, AZ next month working on my building lot and getting it ready for an RV. My folks winter down there and I have been visiting them every winter for a couple of weeks for the past few years.

Each trip down has included exploring the desert via a Jeep or 4Runner, exploring old mines, ghost towns, and picking up pretty rocks. I have never done any metal detecting or panning in the area. But I do have experience panning, metal detecting, and sluicing up around Prescott, AZ with some success.

This year, I thought it would be fun to do some prospecting in some of the recently exposed dry washes due to the historic flooding a few months ago. My plan is to find an area that will likely have some color, get to it via 4wd, fill some 5-gallon buckets with classified material that looks promising, then head back to town and process the material in my Keene sluice in my folk's driveway. The goal is to find enough color to pay for the fuel I spent getting out there and back, lol.

In doing some limited research, it seems like the Laguna Placer area just North of Yuma will be a good place to poke around.

Anyone familiar with the area have any other recommendations? Not looking to start a claim or get rich; I just want to have fun and introduce my girlfriend to prospecting. And the best way to get hooked on prospecting is getting color!

Thanks!
OK, first thing is to get a copy of the Arizona mining regulations. The 2 types of claim markers and rules. I would also think about driving to Tucson for the Bureau of Mines. To check on active claims where you want to try and NOT get into trouble. As the other guy said, join a club that has claims there. I did that way back in the 80's when my brother and I were trying to find lost gold stories. The books never tell you when they had been found. LOL
 
Made it back from AZ and was able to find the wash I liked on the satellite map.

Just a beautiful wash with some great spots. Grabbed a couple of buckets of classified material from a few different spots.

20260305_141332.webp


20260305_141112.webp


20260305_140113.webp


20260305_130246.webp


I processed all of the material through my Keene sluice and ended up with only two tiny specks of color.

20260305_161714.webp
20260305_154023.webp


Totally disappointed! So many potential washes in that area that I could go out every day for a year and not sample all of the promising spots.

But, at least I got to go out and get some sun and exercise, and my girlfriend was super excited to see real gold straight from the earth.
 
I'm spending a couple of weeks down in Yuma, AZ next month working on my building lot and getting it ready for an RV. My folks winter down there and I have been visiting them every winter for a couple of weeks for the past few years.

Each trip down has included exploring the desert via a Jeep or 4Runner, exploring old mines, ghost towns, and picking up pretty rocks. I have never done any metal detecting or panning in the area. But I do have experience panning, metal detecting, and sluicing up around Prescott, AZ with some success.

This year, I thought it would be fun to do some prospecting in some of the recently exposed dry washes due to the historic flooding a few months ago. My plan is to find an area that will likely have some color, get to it via 4wd, fill some 5-gallon buckets with classified material that looks promising, then head back to town and process the material in my Keene sluice in my folk's driveway. The goal is to find enough color to pay for the fuel I spent getting out there and back, lol.

In doing some limited research, it seems like the Laguna Placer area just North of Yuma will be a good place to poke around.

Anyone familiar with the area have any other recommendations? Not looking to start a claim or get rich; I just want to have fun and introduce my girlfriend to prospecting. And the best way to get hooked on prospecting is getting color!

Thanks!
IF you can find it, This is one of the best books ever! 1936 Hardback
I have no idea where my copy went. Bought it back in 1980 for $20 new.
Tells you so much good info, and some that is no longer legal, like hydrolic mining. But where to dig in streams and washes!
TitleProspecting and Operating Small Gold Placers
AuthorWilliam Fay Boericke
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom