arkansas crystal

baldybob

Dec 4, 2008
Lots of old abandoned mines (and working mines) in Mt. Ida area, west of Hot Springs. You can go to some of the working mines and pay a daily fee, then keep what you find!

Most of the quality sites are leased up already but you can find scattered "good stuff" if you do your research. Heck, there are even some small crystals on my farm west of the city, looks like sugar stuck to rocks.

They once mined silver between Hot Springs and Mt. Ida. The community is called "Old Silver". Catchy name.

Good luck,
Bob in Arkansas

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome baldybob, I make it down there quite a bit, I trade OK fossils for Crystals.

Fossis...............

ark turtle

Nov 2, 2007
baldybob said:
Lots of old abandoned mines (and working mines) in Mt. Ida area, west of Hot Springs. You can go to some of the working mines and pay a daily fee, then keep what you find!

Most of the quality sites are leased up already but you can find scattered "good stuff" if you do your research. Heck, there are even some small crystals on my farm west of the city, looks like sugar stuck to rocks.

They once mined silver between Hot Springs and Mt. Ida. The community is called "Old Silver". Catchy name.

Good luck,
Bob in Arkansas
hey Bob in Arkansas, that's a lot of good information.
I live in El Paso, half way between Conway and Beebe..
I have looked for crystals, but never found a good one...
thanks for the report...
Ark Turtle

highlanders39

Feb 22, 2009
Have been out to the pay mines many times with the kids and found some beautiful crystals here. Have heard though that there's a place on Hwy 70 between HS and a beef jerky place that the side of the hill by the road has tons of crystals in it free for the taking. Have looked a few times while on the way to Mt. Ida with the kids but have yet to find it. Any clues as to where anyone?

baldybob

Dec 4, 2008
Hilanders39,
The place you are searching for is approx 1/4 mile west of the old "Monte Christo" rock shop, which is (I believe) west of Crystal Springs, Arkansas, on US 270 west.
Curve of the road, red clay cut bank above road. Mostly picked over now, but for years there was always someone rockhounding there.

Good Hunting!!
Bob

highlanders39

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks! It's almost time to head back out and do some digging so we'll stop by there and see what there is to find and will report anything that turns up. Great info and much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread