Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a regular to different parts of the forum, but I just found this section last night and I must say I'm quite impressed. The main question I have is are there arrowheads to be found in Northern Indiana? I remember some of my relatives saying they used to find arrowheads about 30 years ago but they didn't find many of them. If there are some to be found, where would be my best starting point? My area is filled with large cornfields and wooded areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Codes

Upvote 0

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
which area will you be checkin' out? I'm in the "Michiana" area and have found a few stone tools, but so far, not one arrowhead...can ya believe that noise? Grrr

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
which area will you be checkin' out? I'm in the "Michiana" area and have found a few stone tools, but so far, not one arrowhead...can ya believe that noise? Grrr

I'm in the southern "Michiana" area. I get WNDU so I guess that counts right? :icon_sunny: I hope to get out when the weather starts to get warmer and I'm just trying to do as much research as I can so I'll be as prepared as possible when I go out.

-Codes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
LOL, no WNDU doesn't count ::) Now if ya said WNSN, well then you're in bidness. ;D

ANYWAY...since you're in southern Michiana...I'm assuming "Marshall"..anyway, research the Wabash and other creeks/springs. OR even the St. Joe and the "Portage route." Maybe I'll bump into ya one of these days doin' a creekwalk.

HH

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lived in that area when I was younger but never looked, I wish you the best of luck, think POTOWATOME, or some spelling like that, they were the largest tribe in that region. :icon_study:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
codes, the thing you must remember first and foremost before going hunting is to get permission from the landowner before entering anyones property. 20 or 30 years ago it wasn't that big of a deal to just walk onto someones property, though I still always tried to get permission first, but nowadays people are really uptight about someone being on their property without permission and some will shoot first, ask questions later.

Once you get permission, try to find high spots along a good water source, whether it be a river, creek, or spring, as long as it runs constantly. If you start finding pieces of flint then you will more then likely find some artifacts. One thing I learned a long time ago and it has helped me find many sites is to drive around in the area and stop and ask farmers if they ever find any arrowheads in their fields and if they do can I get permission to hunt. I've found some very nice sites to hunt that way. I've even had farmers tell me they've never seen an arrowhead in their fields, but just by looking at it I knew it had potential, and I've went out and found things there. They are always really surprised by that, but if you're not looking for them you probably aren't going to see them.

Good luck. Like others have stated, you are in a good area and should be able to find some things with a little patience and diligence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions