Artifact cleaning

xtanne

Greenie
Jan 9, 2005
Florida
Yesterday, I found a rusted and encrusted with sandy mud stuff metal thing which looks like a lamp base or some sort of base for something. It is approximately 6-7 inches square and at the top of the point is about 4 inches tall. I would like to clean this enough to try to make out markings or anything that may identify the object. In order to get it clean, I've washed a lot of the sandy mud stuff off with water, but there is still more. I don't want to harm the object... but some of the sandy stuff has sort of melded with the rust.
Any suggestions?
Wire brush? Wouldn't this damage it possibly?
Cleaning Agent? I know of a product called Ospho or Jasco that turns rust into a primed surface... I don't think there is any value to this object but nevertheless, I don't wish to change history here. :) And I'm not going to paint it either...
Please help!

OP
OP
xtanne

xtanne

Greenie
Jan 9, 2005
Florida
Thank you!
I'll post a pic as soon as I get home. It is really heavy duty and the area where the pole, or some object/candle, would go is triangular in shape.
I found it in a playground... so it could possibly be some sort of playground equipment from the previous playground. I think it has feet on the four corners though which made me think lamp base.
Thanks very very much for your help.

OP
OP
xtanne

xtanne

Greenie
Jan 9, 2005
Florida
Here are 4 pics.
1. Shown fairly straight down right side up.
2. Shown side view of rightside up.
3. Shown almost straight down on underneath.
4. Shown sideways of underneath side.

There's a bulbous area on the underneath where the object should anchor. Maybe a larger base of the object fits within this area to prevent removal?
Like a base of a playground spring ride toy or something... though wouldn't the hole for whatever had movement be some other shape than a triangle?

OP
OP
xtanne

xtanne

Greenie
Jan 9, 2005
Florida
Grr. I think the largest was 32kb.
Try this again...
I think the order is switched but you should be able to tell what they are.

Attachments

• 992880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    992880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 462
  • 313880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    313880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 223880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    223880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 464
  • 823880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    823880713205_0_ALB.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 465
T

tank

40's era jack base. just like the one in my 48 ford !!!oh yah.. mines not much nicer!!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does look like an older car bumper jack base.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i think i can id your object. i believe it IS a base for playground equipment. a spring would have been attached to the hole in the center and a horse would have been attached to the spring.i used to see these at playgrounds when i was a kid...............i guess kids dont play with stuff like that anymore. anyway............nice find and good info on cleaning artifacts. just be real carefull not to get that lye solution in your eyes. it may not immediatly burn your skin but it will do irreversable damage to your eyes.wear goggles!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This stuff called Naval Jelly! Don't know where you can get it these days but it works great!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread