What's new

Artifacts are these facts? And a fossil?

compound digger

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2025
Messages
82
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montgomery
Detector(s) used
Ulhund
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polychrome ceramics, polychrome scalloped ceramic, possible pieces of stone tool’s and some fossils! 410ft above sea level in Alabama.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2405.webp
    IMG_2405.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2402.webp
    IMG_2402.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2404.webp
    IMG_2404.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2400.webp
    IMG_2400.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2363.webp
    IMG_2363.webp
    3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2362.webp
    IMG_2362.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2380.webp
    IMG_2380.webp
    426.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2385.webp
    IMG_2385.webp
    757.9 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 5
Looks like pieces of a ceramic plate and some rocks. That is a nice fossil though.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2409.webp
    IMG_2409.webp
    985 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2415.webp
    IMG_2415.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2414.webp
    IMG_2414.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2419.webp
    IMG_2419.webp
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2410.webp
    IMG_2410.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2411.webp
    IMG_2411.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Might i suggest you buy a couple books on artifacts to study, your picking up random rocks. Artifacts will have signs of being worked, either by flaking, pecking or grinding.
 
So are you telling me I don’t have a single artifact?
If you're using "artifact" to mean "a stone tool made by primitive man", then no. If you mean "artifact" in the sense of "an item used by an earlier inhabitant of a region or culture", then your pottery shards and iron relics could conceivably qualify. But all of the stones appear to be just plain rocks.
 
If you're using "artifact" to mean "a stone tool made by primitive man", then no. If you mean "artifact" in the sense of "an item used by an earlier inhabitant of a region or culture", then your pottery shards and iron relics could conceivably qualify. But all of the stones appear to be just plain rocks.
Ok got ya thanks. Alabama has a rich history both Native American and colonial. So in 1540 when De’sotos and his men were attacked in Alabama it is said that they had lost most of what they had collected and their belongings. I think I’m closer to mabila than the rest! IMO of course
 
So in 1540 when De’sotos and his men were attacked in Alabama it is said that they had lost most of what they had collected and their belongings.
The pottery fragments and iron relics look to be from the mid to late 1800s to me. I could be wrong, of course, but they do very similar to relics I've found from the 1800s.
 
The pottery fragments and iron relics look to be from the mid to late 1800s to me. I could be wrong, of course, but they do very similar to relics I've found from the 1800s.
I have heard that so it’s probably correct!
 
Alabama is loaded with artifacts from coastal cherts to glass like horn stone. If it was me I would hit areas where artifacts have been found before. I hunted Alabama for years.
 
Alabama is loaded with artifacts from coastal cherts to glass like horn stone. If it was me I would hit areas where artifacts have been found before. I hunted Alabama for years.
It’s all from private property I live on!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom