✅ SOLVED Artillery Shell Question for Cannonballguy or anyone else

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
I dug this Hotchkiss shell many years ago down at Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Nothing fancy but I've always wondered why the hole in the base? The hole goes all the way into the cavity. Maybe I'm missing something about it but I can't remember seeing one exactly like this. This is the way that it came out of the ground, only a light coat of oil was put on it. Hopefully Pete or someone can enlighten me about this one. I would appreciate any info that you folks could give me. Thanks, Tennessee digger

Attachments

• Shell01.jpg
    Shell01.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Shell02.jpg
    Shell02.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Shell03.jpg
    Shell03.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Shell04.jpg
    Shell04.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Shell05.jpg
    Shell05.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 94

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The approximately 1/2-inch diameter hole in the base of a Hotchkiss shell's "nose section" is a result of how the hollow cavity was cast in it. The hole is seen only in early versions of Hotchkiss Common-Shells )no antipersonnel balls inside) and Percussion (impact-detonation fuze) shells (which also do not have antipersonnel balls inside). You may have the Percussion version missing its iron fuzecap. If so, there would have been some tiny threading inside the upper part of the fuzehole -- but of course, the threading may have corroded away. If there is absolutely NO sign of corroded-away threading, it had a wooden timefuze-adapter plug.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Thanks Pete, I KNEW you would know! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Tennessee digger

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pleased to be of assistance. Since you asked about the hole, I explained it without mentioning a detail I now think I should have mentioned The hole in the nose-section's base was not left open after casting was completed. The hole was closed by hammering in a cork-shaped iron plug, and then the Hotchkiss shell's distinctive base-cup and lead sabot were applied onto the nose-section. The iron plug is missing from yours because the bursting-charge in the shell was apparently partially spoiled, having enough power to expel the plug, but not enough to fragment the shell's main body. Here's a photo of a sawed-in-half unfired 3"-caliber Hotchkiss Common-Shell, showing the plug in the hole.

Attachments

• shell_halfsection_Hotchkiss_3.0inch_Common-shell_Type2_photobyPoche_Nashville2008.jpg
    shell_halfsection_Hotchkiss_3.0inch_Common-shell_Type2_photobyPoche_Nashville2008.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread