What's new

Artillery shell..?

daroofa

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
575
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Location
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Found this in an area with a history of military training dating back to WW I as well as decades of logging. My first thought was that it was part of a diesel exhaust but it has what looks like a primer in the end so now I'm thinking 105mm maybe, but I've never seen a casing like this. Last photo are a couple other items found the same day including a full 30 round clip with 5.56mm blanks. Thanks for looking and HH.
 

Attachments

  • 0523001013.webp
    0523001013.webp
    268.2 KB · Views: 893
  • 0523001014.webp
    0523001014.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 0523001018.webp
    0523001018.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 422
I believe it is the submersible part of a well water pump.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I would have to agree that is is a 105 round. it was a training round, never had powder in it, and probably once upon a time, it had a large wooden bullet in it for training, classroom use, loading practice and such. The rat rodders love them to make tailpipes out of.

Nice find! Sometimes you will see them at gun shows and they are not giving them away!

Bob
 
Upvote 0
Bear nailed it, there is an excellent pic on the page he linked. I was going to copy it here, but it is copyrighted.
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I believe it is the submersible part of a well water pump.

DCMatt


Well, hush my mouth! Learned something today. Thanks guys!

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone. The recoilless suggestion got me doing some more research and I'm starting to think it is a 106mm recoilless shell. Found a pretty good picture that looks just like it (3rd shell from the left). I'm going to leave it unchecked until later in case someone else cares to chime in.
 

Attachments

  • jeeprounds.webp
    jeeprounds.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,651
Upvote 0
That 5.56 mag looks pretty clean. Any markings on it or dates on the shell casings?
 
Upvote 0
oldfireguy said:
That 5.56 mag looks pretty clean. Any markings on it or dates on the shell casings?

It's not that old. We had just camped in the same spot 2 weeks earlier and it wasn't there then. The National Guard still uses the area so we stumble across things like this from time to time.
 
Upvote 0
daroofa said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. The recoilless suggestion got me doing some more research and I'm starting to think it is a 106mm recoilless shell. Found a pretty good picture that looks just like it (3rd shell from the left). I'm going to leave it unchecked until later in case someone else cares to chime in.

Yep, 106MM Recoilless Rifle Anti Tank round. I was assigned to the 1st Bn. 5th Calvary, 1st calvary Div., 1971-1973. My unit had a platoon of these and a platoon of 81MM Mortars. The crew of one of these rifles had 9 seconds to get another round off before an enemy tank might take them out if they missed with the first one. These were replaced with other anti tank weapons like the light/tracked short barrel Sheridan and the Shillelagh(spelling?) anti tank missile. The LAW (Light Anti-Tank Weapon) Rocket was also available. We also had a number of 90MM Recoilless rifles for use against tanks and other targets.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom