Всем привет!
I need help identifying an unusual bronze pendant that I found recently in the Kaluga region of Russia (forest area, near a ravine). The object was discovered in the soil and shows heavy natural corrosion and mineralization.
I originally thought it might be a modern fantasy item, but after taking macro photos I noticed several details that made me reconsider:
Deep corrosion pits filled with plant fibers and soil minerals
Multilayer natural patina (brown, green, grey)
No signs of chemical aging
A visible casting seam that looks consistent with ancient two-part mold casting
Uneven handmade ornament, not symmetrical like modern replicas
The loop is broken, not modern manufactured
Overall appearance resembles Slavic/Baltic or Viking-age style amulets, but the shape is unusual
Location: Kaluga region, Russia
Material: bronze (or copper alloy)
Condition: heavily corroded, natural patina
Possible dating (my guess): 10th–13th century, but I am not sure
I am attaching clear photos, including macro shots.
I would greatly appreciate help from experts familiar with:
Slavic / Baltic medieval jewelry
Is this an authentic medieval amulet or something later?
Any information about cultural origin or dating would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance!
I need help identifying an unusual bronze pendant that I found recently in the Kaluga region of Russia (forest area, near a ravine). The object was discovered in the soil and shows heavy natural corrosion and mineralization.
I originally thought it might be a modern fantasy item, but after taking macro photos I noticed several details that made me reconsider:
Deep corrosion pits filled with plant fibers and soil minerals
Multilayer natural patina (brown, green, grey)
No signs of chemical aging
A visible casting seam that looks consistent with ancient two-part mold casting
Uneven handmade ornament, not symmetrical like modern replicas
The loop is broken, not modern manufactured
Overall appearance resembles Slavic/Baltic or Viking-age style amulets, but the shape is unusual
Location: Kaluga region, Russia
Material: bronze (or copper alloy)
Condition: heavily corroded, natural patina
Possible dating (my guess): 10th–13th century, but I am not sure
I am attaching clear photos, including macro shots.
I would greatly appreciate help from experts familiar with:
Slavic / Baltic medieval jewelry
- Viking-age amulets
- Medieval bronze casting techniques
Is this an authentic medieval amulet or something later?
Any information about cultural origin or dating would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance!







