Ashtray

Daddio Digger

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected and dug this up a few months back. I suspect itโ€™s of Southwest US, as to the rocks, the Donkey, or Mule.

As I heard the rings of the detector, I knew I had found a metal something or other. As I dug down 6-7โ€ all I saw was a rock.

Why would rocks set the detector off?

The Donkey, or Mule, is made of Copper, solid copper, thatโ€™s why I thought Southwest US.

Arizona mining country origin?

I donโ€™t know, maybe you folks do?
Thanks for looking. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565459744.004100.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565459758.841803.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565459770.473996.jpg

Edit: I should have noted it took several sessions in the sink with soapy water and a soft brush to clean this unit up. Then a coat of clear to make it shine.

Last edited:
Upvote 14
Huh, I know one thing, it sure is ugly ...................... in a good way, congrats!!

Cool find! :occasion14:
IMHO: The donkey and cigarette tray set off the machine.

Huh, I know one thing, it sure is ugly ...................... in a good way, congrats!!

I was sittin' here wonderin' how to say the exact same thing without sounding snooty! Joe, you said it perfect!

Nice find...I guess. No, really, nice find!

Ashtray...not too high on the bucket list lol... but certainly an interesting find, Daddio! And a great job on the clean-up...Ddf.

I thought it maybe had a Spanish tourist look to it??

Probably originally came from Stuckey's. They used to be all over the place here in AZ and the Southwest US, and they had curio shops full of stuff just like your ashtray.

st.jpg

Last edited:
Probably originally came from Stuckey's. They used to be all over the place here in AZ and the Southwest US, and they had curio shops full off stuff just like your ashtray.

View attachment 1742157
I used to love stopping at Stuckeys on the way to Florida as a kid, I always got a civil war kepi and a pecan roll.

I loved their Pecan Divinity...good stuff. I think a few Stuckey's still exist, but not around here any more. Some of their old building are still around though, re-purposed as something else.

Now that's an unusual find. At least yours is more than metal, and has some art design to it. You did a great job on the cleanup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back