ASKING PERMISSION (How often do you end up sharing your booty?)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all depends on how good the site is. I never offer anything, most of the time that just want to see what you pulled from their yard.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it's a site that I really want to hunt, I just start out by introducing myself to the landowner and let them know that I enjoy the hobby of metal detecting. Sometimes I tell them that if they've lost any sentimental metal items in the yard, over the years, that if they'll give me a description of it, I'll gladly give it to them if I recover it while hunting. I also tell them, kind of jokingly, that if I hit a pot full of treasure, I'll split it 50/50 with them or I'll be more specific, if they seem to be a hard nut to crack, and say that if I find anything valued at over $100, I'll split it with them. (Either they can pay me 50% of its value and keep it or I will do the same deal for them and I'll keep the item.) Very rarely do I have to resort to the last deal though. Usually a friendly smile and a courteous and genuine introduction will get me permission. I do take my time and talk with them for as long as necessary if they are curious about the hobby or maybe have some treasure hunting stories they want to tell me about. I also leave them with one of our Central Texas Treasure Club cards with our contact information on it so that they can contact me anytime they want. I've found that knowing they can reach me in case a problem develops makes it much easier for them to say "yes".
~Texas Jay

31107-1.jpg

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned from experience over the years,that when you are granted permission to hunt a property,--PUT ALL THE GOOD FINDS IN A SEPARATE POCKET.Because,it may happen that after hours of hunting-- while you are showing the owner what you have dug,he or she demands everything you found.If they are nice,friendly and not demanding of what you show them,then you may give them a good coin or two of your choice.I will not waste my time and energy only to have a greedy person take it all.Even if it is their property,you were given permission to
search it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread