OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
.... just throwing it out there to the treasure hunting gods, (since it seems to have worked last time...) ..."I haven't found a gold coin yet"...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.... just throwing it out there to the treasure hunting gods, (since it seems to have worked last time...) ..."I haven't found a gold coin yet"...
Well if that works I'm all for it.
Now that I found my gold coin..."I haven't found a piece of trade silver yet"

Congrats on the hammer/maul, little hope in finding one around here it seems.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I have one of those! Monsterrack made it for me... does that count?
Id be interested in seeing some of those wedges you mentioned I the beginning. I’m not sure if I have seen any before. Might be something new for me to look for.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here you go...

I had an archeologist friend of mine take an interest in them, here are some excerpts from his write up.

This paper addresses an assemblage of five Sitka spruce wood asymmetrical rectangular wedges associated with a locus of the Chinook Tribe. Central Northwest Coast ethnographic sources (Boas 1909; Keddie 2019; Swan 1857, 1870) suggest that similar wood wedges were used to split planks from cedar logs. Cedar planks were integral elements of Pacific Northwest coast Late Holocene architecture, and were a valuable byproduct of cedar canoe manufacturing.
The nature of the wood wedges was initially unclear. The fact that they were created with an adze, or adze-like tool, suggested that they were likely Native American artifacts. Gary Wesson (Personal Communication 4/2022) helped resolve this uncertainty, recognizing the wood tools as formally similar to asymmetrical rectangular wood wedges and rectangular wedge preforms recovered from the Ozette Site (Gleeson 1980). The formal similarity between the wood wedges, and the Cape Flattery Makah Ozette Village wood wedges, is suggestive of shared woodworking tasks, knowledge, and techniques.
While the Ozette site assemblage includes a sample of more than 1100 wood wedges (Gleeson 1980), no “sets” or “kits” of related wood wedges have yet been identified from Ozette Village. The five Chinook Ya’kam’noq wooden wedges appear to represent a partial “kit” of related wood wedges meant to be used together as a set. Moreover, two of the Chinook Ya’kam’noq asymmetrical rectangular wedges are mirror images of the other three, hinting at intra-set wedge variability that has not previously been described.
Swan (1870:35) describes a Cape Flattery, Washington Makah Tribe canoe maker’s tool kit as consisting of an axe, a stone hammer, some wooden wedges, a chisel, a knife, and a gimlet (drill).
Boas (1909) describes how the Kwakwaka’wakw of Vancouver Island would split horizontal planks from the top surface of felled cedar logs: “Trees are always split from the upper end down to the lower end, otherwise the plane of fissure will turn outward, so that the planks will be short and thin at one end. After the top of the log has been split off, it is thrown down and laid flat side upward, the upper end resting on a log. Then the thickness of the first plank to be split off is marked on the end of the log. It is made three finger-widths thick. The plane of this plank never runs quite parallel to the first plane of splitting, because the stresses the wood, owing to the change it its position, have changed. The planes separating the following planks, however, run nearly parallel with the surface of the first plank . . . when planks are split from a horizontal log, the split face of which lies upward, the outer margins of the planks always turn downward, so that the upper side of the plank is convex near its sides, while the lower side is concave.” (Boas 1909:329).
untitled 5257 first try.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread