At pro 5x8 coil depth

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own an AT Pro, but I have used one for about 40 hours. I have an Ace 250 with both coils. I have a GTI-2500 with both coils. Here's my take.

If the soil in your area is highly mineralized, it doesn't make much difference which coil you use. I say this, because larger coils tend to be "upset" more by the soil, than smaller ones. As a result, to compensate, you have to turn down the sensitivity to accommodate the larger coils. The net result is, the maximum depth is about the same.

Everyone seems to put their wanton desires into the depth capability of some specific coil, brand, model, etc. The truth is, it isn't the maximum depth that really makes the difference. Rather, it is the discrimination which counts most. What's more, if you're searching for coins, getting a response 18 inches down isn't of much use. Unless the soil has been highly disturbed, about the maximum depth a coin will drop to is perhaps 6 inches. Yes, sometimes they drop further, but that's a rare case. In fact, Roman coins have been found in England, where the coin has laid for several millennium in undisturbed soil, and the depth is only a few inches at best.

Of course, this doesn't address the technical issues of what is possible. In any case, if someone tells you they can find a coin 3 feet down, ask them if they have a bridge over the river Kwai for sale!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread