AT Pro Goes Crazy Sometimes

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went to a park and I couldn't get the AT Pro to settle down. The numbers were jumping from top to bottom even when it was sitting still. Ground balanced about 10 times, turned it of and on, tried going up and down on the manual GB, nothing seemed to work. The battery indicator was on 3/4 full but it would bounce around too. I tried disconnecting the coil plug and plugging it back in. I'm wondering if I need to change the batteries because it still has the ones it came with in it. But today in my yard it worked perfectly so I don't know what it's problem was. Are there areas that have so much crap in the ground that you can't run a metal detector over it?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
more likely you were very near a high source of emf...cell tower,signal repeater,high power lines,cell phone in pocket...etc.also underground electrical lines can do the same.

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was close to a gas substation but there could have been a buried power line I suppose. I have an EMF meter (don't ask lol) I could go see just out of curiosity.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a train nearby?

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not within about a mile of the tracks

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How low do y'all let the batteries get before y'all change them?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
How low do y'all let the batteries get before y'all change them?

I always use rechargeables, so I always start the hunt with fully charged batteries.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine goes nuts when you're near emf. I know when my battery gets down halfway, I change them. At some point, at 1 bar of strength, mine will just start freaking out. The first time this happened, I thought it was toast until I changed the batteries

vilechild

Jan 20, 2015
Upstate, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has done this twice also, actually today was one of the days, changed freq's, turned it off and back on, nothing helped. But after a min it just stopped. My battery's are at half, I just figured it's either that or emf...or some ghost just wanted me gone.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried powerlines and/or high transmission overhead powerlines have done this to me before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread