AT Pro in Culpeper VA soil?

VaMark

Jun 3, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, XP Deus, AT Pro, Silver U-Maxx, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you guys have any experience with the AT Pro in the area around Culpeper VA? I'm going to a hunt there in Nov and was wondering how bullets ring up in the "hot" ground.
Do they hit solid in the 60's or are they broken?
I recently dug about 45 bullets that rang up in the 25 range and bounced higher sometimes but not always,

Thanks
Mark

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Mark, Welcome. To answer your question... YES, I've used the AT-Pro as well as a White's XLT in Culpeper. My avatar is my first bullet from up there. It works but don't expect a lot of depth out of it. 4" is about all you can expect. This is true for the VLF machines. That soil is extremely hot. You can lay your pinpointer down on the ground and it'll sound off like it is sitting on a target. As for target ID numbers, you can't trust them. I never paid the numbers any attention. Some items will hit high, some will give a mid tone and some goodies will hit low in the iron range. When everyone at DIV gives you the famous line: "Dig it all", there's a reason, you need to dig it all. If you get a hit, even a broken, iron signal that is repeatable, then I would suggest digging. You may get a nail, but up there you never know. Some parts of that site are so hot my XLT wouldn't hunt, it would overload with the coil at knee high. I had to move on, maybe as little at 10' away to get a stable detector.

I've been up twice and have had a great time digging a few items each time. This fall I'm going up with a White's TDI and my AT-Pro as my backup. I will give a few hours to the AT-Pro before I leave. Go in with high expections for fun and fellowship and low expections for finds and you come away with great memories and some relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread