cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I have a bunch of them.

OP
OP
P

PGALLAHORN

Aug 30, 2023
Welcome to Tnet.

Sadly, it's a (rather crude) modern replica produced as a souvenir or plaything for kids with almost no value.
I checked it against some of the suggestions to see if something is silver. Not magnetic and ice melts immediately. I did a Half dollar at same time and got same results? It looks like gold and silver in pic, but it’s all silver in color. Was this not a way to see if it was silver! I’m new at this and it’s the only one I’ll ever have.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An XRF, acid, or spit and foil test to confirm. I hope it's real, it just doesn't look like it. Take it to a local coin shop and get a quote.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked it against some of the suggestions to see if something is silver. Not magnetic and ice melts immediately. I did a Half dollar at same time and got same results? It looks like gold and silver in pic, but it’s all silver in color. Was this not a way to see if it was silver! I’m new at this and it’s the only one I’ll ever have.

I don't regard the 'ice-test' as a reliable way to distinguish silver from other possible metals and alloys. Having said that, replicas do of course exist in silver, but usually not such poor reproductions as yours. Often they're produced by taking a mould from a real coin and intended to deceive.

However, take a closer looks at the design elements on your 'coin' versus examples of the real thing. I've isolated the four quarters on the reverse of yours and shown them below alongside those from a typical authentic Philip III 8 reales. The castles (if that's what they're intended to be) are really poor representations and the lions are laughably inaccurate. No way is that a genuine coin, nor a cast from the real thing (my opinion of course). Sorry.

8 Reales.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread