Attention Archeologists, Museum curators. Could be the holy grail. You tell me.

sonofmitch

Apr 9, 2007
Lone Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro ,Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this several years ago near Victoria Texas on the San Antonio river. It's made of brass or bronze and is about 11 inches across and is approximately 1/8 thick. It stands 5 inches high and has a center hole that is 3 inches in diameter. There are six other 5/8 inch holes with one in each corner of its hexagonal shape. These holes are made such that if something were inserted into them that object would stand vertically and not at any other angle than 90 degrees. It appears to be Spanish or French just 'cause I want it to be.
The way it was made was by making 6 identical pieces that were bent to the same shape to make each of the six sides and joined with rivets through the decorative strips that cover each seam. I would say that it's off of a ship, from a mission, or off of a carriage. Surely not a hubcap. Maybe a decorative base for a flagpole???????????? Then why the little holes. Six flags over Texas?? Looks hammered into shape. Each of the six pieces at one time had other pieces riveted to them which would have stuck our from the edges that you see now.

Any ideas?? Anyone

Attachments

• frt3.JPG
    frt3.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 3,089
  • frt.JPG
    frt.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,038
  • frt2.JPG
    frt2.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 3,020
  • frt5.JPG
    frt5.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,028

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
could be the top piece to a fancy lantern case the six holes were probaly had six long brass rods you know like the porch light fixtures but maybe used on carriage as a light source at night

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe a ceiling mount canopy for one of those old wagon wheel chandeliers?

Stagecoach-Inn-Wagon-Wheel-Chandelier-I28442.jpg

:dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
olepossum said:
could be the top piece to a fancy lantern case the six holes were probaly had six long brass rods you know like the porch light fixtures but maybe used on carriage as a light source at night

that was my thought as well. Top of a lantern.

Upvote 0

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
i'll second lantern top, or top of an old street lamp. Seems a bit large for a carry lantern.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"It appears to be Spanish or French just 'cause I want it to be."

Ha Ha!! I don't know what it is, but I like your style sonofmitch! :D :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well sonofamitch.

i have no clue what that is.

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
In any event ...

It is not a ships "knee," as evidenced by the photo below of a sunken ship. It turns out that a knee is a curved timber that mounts to the interior side wall, and even though it is intended to help support the mast, it in no way resembles the item in question. The following quote will help dispell my incorrect assumption.

Knee;

A piece of timber shaped in a right angle, often naturally so, that is used to secure parts of a ship together, especially to connect the beams and the timbers. A hanging knee lies beneath and supports the ends of the deck beams; a lodging knee fastens the forward side of a ship's beam to the ship's side; and a bosom knee the afterside of the beam to the ship's side. In smaller vessels,. knees support the thwarts.

(What the heck is a "thwart?" :dontknow: I better quit while I'm ahead!)

However ... it may still be the "Decorative" upper cap of where a mast protruded from the main deck. Of course, I'm referring to the deck of a small river vessel and not that of a huge ship.

Anyway ... that's my two cents worth, and will only be back if I find something more substantial to support my "guess" as to it being any part of a river vessel.

SODABOB
I do believe it is a Hexagonal roof cap and it's missing the top probably a rnd. ball or spike?
1880/1890's cool find!

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
What's confusing me at this juncture are the 5/8" holes at the base.

In my estimation, I consider the 5/8" holes to be "Huge," which suggest something massive/heavy went into the main 3" hole. But I like both the roof shroud idea, and the Barber chair idea as well, and hadn't thought of either until they were just mentioned.

SDBB :dontknow:

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I must be losing it, cause here I go again!

And since I've got nothing better to do today until the party tonight, I guess you're stuck with me!

Now I'm thinking those dang 5/8" holes aren't for mounting at all, but upon closer inspection "appear" they may have been intended to put the tip of walking canes into, an that the 3" hole may have been for a container to hold umbrellas or, if you prefer, paracels!

I arrived at this because of the original "detailed" explaination regarding the vertical, 90 degree aspect of the holes.

But then again, maybe I'm just "fishing," and the holes are for fishing rods!

:icon_scratch:

SDBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
72cheyenne -

I like your idea the best of all so far!

And to think, the link shows it for "only" $12,500.00 ... whata bargin!

SDBB

P.S. I think I'm going to start the party early and leave this one to those who know what they're talking about.

:occasion18:

"Happy New Year!"

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
72cheyenne - :notworthy:

I'm not trying to steal the spot light, (I would never do that), but rather to "focus" it on you, and what you came up with! I think you are onto something, and only wish to express my support!

Thus, the similarity to the "base" of this church type of weather vane mounted above a bell pictured below.

Respectfully,

SODA"DUMBBELL"BOB

Attachments

• Weather Vane with base..jpg
    Weather Vane with base..jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,863
Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
72cheyenne - :notworthy:

I'm not trying to steal the spot light, (I would never do that), but rather to "focus" it on you, and what you came up with! I think you are onto something, and only wish to express my support!

Thus, the similarity of the base of this church type of weather vane mounted above a bell pictured below.

Respectfully,

SODA"DUMBBELL"BOB

Hey we are all in this together. :thumbsup: Broken knee was the one to first suggest some type of roof finial, so I just started thinking and looking in that direction.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
72cheyenne and Broken knee -

Thanks ... I feel better now. I knew you were troopers from day one!

But what gets me about so many of these "What Is It's?" (Which I love participating in), is the fact that unless a guy finds an "exact" picture match, you can drive yourself crazy with all the various possibilities. For example, this may very well be the base of some kind of roof mount, weather vane, lightning rod, but if it's hand made and one of a kind, we may never know for sure. And that's what drives me bonkers - (at least speaking for myself) - perpetually close - but rarely, if ever actually being able to puff on the cigar of victory!

Oh well ... life goes on!

:mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05:

Maybe tomorrow, which is a new day and a new year.

SDBB

P.S. "No" I'm not drunk! Not yet anyway!

Upvote 0

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as someone else pointed out....looks to me like a gas style old street lamp. As I live here in Victoria...will do some searches of old pics of the downtown area to see if I can find a match. Nice find whatever it turns out to be!
Kieth-Tx

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread