What's new

attention europeans! need help IDing one of your coins

  • Thread starter Thread starter hessian raider
  • Start date Start date
H

hessian raider

Guest
let me start off by saying I did try to take pictures of this coin. I used the macro setting, in natural light, with the flash off, etc, etc. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get ANY details in the pictures. It looks like a brown disc. So, let me describe it for you. On the obverse, there is a crown above a double headed eagle with it's wings open (prussian?). On the reverse is a wreath with "2 khoneh" (could be a "e" or an "a", not sure- it's pretty worn) below that is the initials K H (or possibly N) and 2 smaller letters below that I can't make out. The strike of the coin is off-set, if that helps. Any opinions would be appreciated. I found this today on a very remote site in northern hampshire county; I'd still be there if I didn't run out of bug spray. The biting flies are fierce out there, and not easily deterred.
 
Upvote 0
well done, crusader and Mac. I just found one on eBay, early 19th century Russian 2 kopek. Minted during the reign of Alexander I, 1801-1825. I thought it was just a largie when I dug it...
 
Upvote 0
hessian raider said:
let me start off by saying I did try to take pictures of this coin. I used the macro setting, in natural light, with the flash off, etc, etc. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get ANY details in the pictures. It looks like a brown disc. So, let me describe it for you. On the obverse, there is a crown above a double headed eagle with it's wings open (prussian?). On the reverse is a wreath with "2 khoneh" (could be a "e" or an "a", not sure- it's pretty worn) below that is the initials K H (or possibly N) and 2 smaller letters below that I can't make out. The strike of the coin is off-set, if that helps. Any opinions would be appreciated. I found this today on a very remote site in northern hampshire county; I'd still be there if I didn't run out of bug spray. The biting flies are fierce out there, and not easily deterred.
Did you notice a post that I made several weeks ago about taking macro photos? If not, read your manual very carefully, and if you have an digital camera read to see if a icon shown in the viewfinder in macro mode should turn green when its ready (in focus).
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom