What's new

August 09 Penny totals

Silversound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
84
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoCal
It was a decent month for pennies, being my second month in the game I'm still refining my system. I did a total of 7 boxes, which isn't too bad for going by hand. I'm still sorting through 82's to discover an accurate picture of which of the 7 versions are most rare (And to what extent) and will be posting my most recent numbers and report probably this week. I've still only found 1 rail splitter in the wild out here in SoCal, but I'm a consistent magnet for the log cabin D's. This month I decided to begin sorting the s-mint coins separately as well, so there's an added column for those. I may or may not continue separating the s mints, as that skews my numbers for wheats vs. non-wheat coppers. On to the totals! (The box numbers are my own overall reference numbers)

Box 9
Copper: 380
Wheat: 6
Cabins: 19
Copper 82: 23
Zinc 82: 25
S: 21

Box 10
Copper: 387
Wheat: 3
Cabins: 16
Copper 82: 41
Zinc 82: 22
S: 26

Box 11
Copper: 401
Wheat: 6
Cabins: 17
Copper 82: 21
Zinc 82: 36
S: 12

Box 12
Copper: 370
Wheat: 7
Cabins: 19
Copper 82: 20
Zinc 82: 24
S: 16

Box 13
Copper: 394
Wheat: 4
Cabins: 17
Copper 82: 14
Zinc 82: 25
S: 15

Box 14
Copper: 361
Wheat: 17
Cabins: 20
Copper 82: 31
Zinc 82: 31
S: 18

Box 15
Copper: 430
Wheat: 5
Cabins: 20
Copper 82: 28
Zinc 82: 30
S: 20

Total for 7 boxes:
Copper: 2723
Wheat: 58
Cabins: 128
Copper 82: 206
Zinc 82: 223
S: 148

Adding all the copper 82's and the s-mints gives a copper total of: 3077

Overall a good month. I would like to get 10 boxes worth (250,000) copper pennies before the year end. If I streamline the operation some and pick up more boxes I should be able to reach that goal. First and foremost though I want this to be a fun hobby, not some pressured race or goal that has to be achieved.

George
 
Upvote 0
Do you use a Ryedale sorter? I can't imagine going through that many. I'm in Norcal SF Bay Area and I did $65.00 worth this month & got 36 wheats. I just started recently. The boxes are better up here. I just get lots of "S" mints and got 24 from a box that I only searched $20 worth so far. I got a 1917-D, 1929-D, 1930-S in the same box. I picked up a $25 box in San Diego a month ago and It was really weak with 3 wheats. Are boxes in SoCal weaker and more picked through? I noticed there were fewer copper pennies too. Just curious. How are things with halves down there? Halves up here have gone weak so far.
 
Hey SFBay,

I don't use a Ryedale, though I am seriously considering one in the near future. I do enjoy going through each coin by hand though. There's something rather therapeutic about it.
Those are some great wheat numbers you have there, congrats! I would imagine since the population is denser here that there would be more people looking for wheats than up in NorCal, though I've never searched a box from anywhere outside of the LA/Long Beach area. I've done pretty well with halves. I hit the banks really hard my first month and scored probably 50 coins total, haven't been doing halves this month - too hot ;). I've yet to work my way up to boxes regularly, but the two boxes that I have searched were near skunks. I think I pulled 1 40% though it seems that when boxes pay they pay HUGE! Looking forward to my first dream box.

George
 
Just curious how you determine zinc from copper with the 82's. I average about 70 1982's per box and I get at least 80% copper. And I've seen other posts to indicate this is a typical percentage.
I use a a scale to weight them. Copper = 3.1 grams, Zinc = 2.5 grams
You seem to be getting more zinc than copper with the 82's.
 
I use the ring test - I'll gently tap the coin on one edge with another coin and listen to the sound - copper has a very pleasant, distinct, pure, high pitch ring that sustains for about 2 seconds. Zinc has a dull "clink" sound. As a music producer I find it fun to use my ears in my hobby, plus I find the sound to be therapeutic. Where are you located? Different locations could easily account for a difference in percentages. Either way, congrats on your copper %!

Peace,
George
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom