What's new

Tried something different (for me)

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
For the past 7 months I’ve been detecting near an old well where I believe a cabin once stood. After 21 visits and 135 hours I have found a 2 Reales, counterfeit 8 Reales, 15 Large Cents, the list goes on and on. Being a debris field, I’ve also found a lot of nails, etc. While waiting on my next permission to come through, I decided to try something different (for me).

Drilled some ¾” holes in the lid of my plastic equipment box, took it to the site and sat it on a rolling cart, then sifted one shovel of dirt through it at the time. Next went over the dirt remaining on the lid w/ a pinpointer and searched it visually. When done, I’d pour the dirt into a pile on the ground and got another shovel full. Once the hole was completely dug (about 16-20” deep), I ran my detector inside it, over the pile, then returned the dirt pile to the hole.

Lots of effort to be sure. In 12 hours over 2 days I found a pair of tiny flat buttons, 17 pottery sherds, 2 pieces of flint, a non-metallic sphere and other stuff shown in the last 3 pics below. Of course there were still a bunch of nails.
 

Attachments

  • 20250723_082031.webp
    20250723_082031.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 218
  • 20250723_082228(0).webp
    20250723_082228(0).webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
  • 20250723_160920.webp
    20250723_160920.webp
    303.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20250723_155257.webp
    20250723_155257.webp
    237.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 20250723_155755.webp
    20250723_155755.webp
    183.5 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 25
That's an interesting way to do it. Nice and neat. A lot of work, but on the other hand, you would have never found those pottery shard with a metal detector (unless they were sitting next to something metal, of course).
 
That's an interesting way to do it. Nice and neat. A lot of work, but on the other hand, you would have never found those pottery shard with a metal detector (unless they were sitting next to something metal, of course).
robertk, thanks for the good observations. I'd never have found those tiny buttons either as deep as they were with nails so close by.
 
You got a more complete picture of the artifacts on the site than a metal detector alone would.
Almy, thanks and so true. While I uncovered a few sherds during earlier visits, there is more variety here.
 
Congrats on all the great finds !
E-Trac-Ohio, thanks! It helped to have a couple days of comfortable weather vs. the 90+ degrees/high humidity.
 
Very nice assortment of recoveries! Great job!
scruggs, thanks. Some will add to the story in the educational display case donated to the local historical society this winter.
 
It's amazing how much stuff you can find screening.

I made one like this and have recovered lots of great relics with it.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-07-24 at 5.18.51 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2025-07-24 at 5.18.51 PM.webp
    145.2 KB · Views: 77
It's amazing how much stuff you can find screening.

I made one like this and have recovered lots of great relics with it.
oldmxrat, that is one sharp screening table! Had hoped to borrow one similar to yours - but settled on a low-tech version. Still it got the job mostly done.
 
Good work! Great way to find the nonmetallic relics.
Jeff H, thanks a bunch! Once the weather moderates, I'll probably do a few more holes and see what I come up with. If nothing else its a great weight loss program!
 
That’s pretty much how the arkies do it. The person in the hole digs carefully looking for any items. The dirt they dig goes into a bucket. The bucket is then passed to a second person operating the screen to find the smallest items. Some take it one step further and put the excavated dirt in water. Organic items like seeds will float and can be gathered. It’s this organic debris that can give a carbon date to a site. Screening is a lot of work but it can pay off.
 
ToddsPoint, agree 100%. Given the amount/variety of artifacts I was finding just w/ my detector, I figured there had to be more deeper & non-metallic. Didn't dig the hole carefully - just testing my theory. If my other permissions don't come through - maybe I'll dig more carefully next time(s)...
 
Last edited:
That sure sounds like a dream site! I give you much credit for your sifting efforts. You pulled some very pretty pieces of pottery out of there. Congrats!
 
That sure sounds like a dream site! I give you much credit for your sifting efforts. You pulled some very pretty pieces of pottery out of there. Congrats!
Silvermonkey, as the Lynyrd Skynyrd song goes, "You got that right". I'm trying different tactics to uncover every artifact I can.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom