Thanks a Ton TCBG
You describe the 54 cal 'To a T' I actually thought the "Flat Oval" was damage from being dropped or stepped on Way back when.
The info on the Enfield is great! ,Like you I love anything out of the ordinary
Also Cool that you pictured the "air bubble" Minnie as one of the fired ones pictured in this grouping has a almost identical bubble hole in it's cavity. Ill bet the Soldier did not know how close he came to a 'Blow Out' .
It's neat that through hunting this area I now can almost picture in my mind where the Soldiers of both sides , met , fought , & Traveled the area. I do keep everything by site found no GPS ; tho it would be cool.
I was near this site last hunt and 'Luckily' found a few more Civil War Bullets about 8 , all were fired 3 ringers with 3 or 4 being High impact "Squashed" Minnie's , I did get the tip of 1 Enfield , it looked to me at the time like a 54 Type but the bottom half was Chewed by something.

.. An interesting discovery.
I also dug various brass pieces 3 rivets with leather still attached 'all from the same hole' as for time period

Iron is everywhere? Then I found some short Rim-fire cases , then a Bullet , then a Cartridge that looked familiar.
Anyhow I got home & looked in my T&T Handbook , BTW , I also have M & M's Book.
The cases , bullet & Cartridge turned out to be 41 cal , ' Derringer' # 44 in The T&T Handbook.
My only ? is were these Civil War Era ? or post war? Yes they are in the book, but the little research I did by google yesterday said the rim-fire was 1866? Unlike the Derringer used to Kill Lincoln as you know was a cap & ball type. Also a few of the 41 RF bullets showed no rings , mine have rings ' if that matters.
I have not checked the Cases for a " C.D. Mark" tho I did not notice one in the field.
Heck they are cool finds even if post war as I save all the old 'Good condition ' bullets & Complete Cartridges I Dig, 'For a Display '"Some Day"
All in all I think this site is later but did see some Civil War Action as evidenced by the Minnie's & with lots of Iron ; I'm gonna put the 5 inch loop on the G2+ & go slow , I needed a new area to hunt , & this area should keep me busy for a Good While & if later than Civil War , Seated, Barbers , IH's are welcome.
Sorry for the long post & i'm a details Guy , likely too much So .lol
So from the land of Few Gardener & Fewer 'Big 69's' & The Nudist Brigades.
I wish You & everyone Good Day / Eve.
Thanks again for the info as I learned something new ( the casting cut) .
