91.8 KB · Views: 180
  • capbadge.JPG
    capbadge.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 178

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The badge that saw victory in two World Wars.

Since its inception the basic form of the 1904 version has remained unchanged although modifications have been made to the wording on the scroll and to the style of crown.

In 1949, when Corps and Regimental Badges were reintroduced into service, the wording on the scroll of the "Rising Sun" Badge was changed to read "Australian Military Forces".

HM Queen Elizabeth ascended to the throne on the death of King George V1 and the Crown on the badge was subsequently changed from a Kings (Tudor) Crown to a Queen's (St. Edward's) Crown on the 1956 version.

Twenty years later, the badge was again modified to incorporate the Federation Star and Torse Wreath from the original 1902 version of the badge and the scroll wording changed to "Australia" In the 75th anniversary year of the ANZAC landings at Gallipoli there arose a desire to return to the traditional accoutrements worn by Australian soldiers during the World Wars and which clearly identify the Australian Army. The recent change coincides with the 90th anniversary of the Army which was commemorated on 1st March 1991.

More here.....Fantastic find ! Congrats!

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/rising_sun.htm

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a little more info.-I think your's has a tudors crown? Making it pre-1956 and post 1949. I may be wrong though.

"AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH MILITARY FORCES" CAP BADGE. This cap badge is best known as the rising sun badge, which is Australia’s most famous badge. The design was copied made from a drawing of a trophy by Major JM Gordon in 1893. He was part of the South Australian permanent Artillery, and the drawing was called; Australia-Rising sun. The sun rays were originally bayonets and swords, however it now resembles the sun more closely. Up until 1949, the central crown was the Tudors crown, however, after the death of King George IV, the crown was changed to the Queens St Edwards crown. In the scroll beneath, it states; Australian Commonwealth Military Forces.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info.

Funny thing is this is the first time in a while when I haven't gone to the DUMP FIELD or Capbadge field as I sometimes call it & what happens - I get a capbadge & one I need too! Weird this hobbie!

Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely WW1 or WWII Vintage and would most likly match the vintage of the other cap badges you have found in that field - The rising sun cap badge with 'Australian Commonwealth Military Forces' was worn during both wars.

I wore the modern version of the Rising Sun badge on my slouch hat up until a few years ago when I left the Australian Army but I have some identical badges to yours from my grandfather who saw service in WWII.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry_Morant said:
Definitely WW1 or WWII Vintage and would most likly match the vintage of the other cap badges you have found in that field - The rising sun cap badge with 'Australian Commonwealth Military Forces' was worn during both wars.

Funny thing is as mentioned above it wasn't found in the Dump Field with the others. It was found in a park miles away.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions