Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter and son-in-law and kids are transferring from Seattle to Austin next month. I hear great things about the City and I know the weather affords several good hunting days in the winter. I plan on being down there ever so often and would like to get with someone in that area and do a small hunt sometime. So, if you are interested let me know and I look forward to it. Monty

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
While I don't live in the Austin area I have hunted in the Bastrop/Lee County area east of Austin. Good history in this area. If time permits drop me a line and maybe we can find something.
Ron

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot Ron, I'll flag this and look you up when I am in town and have a little spare time. Monty

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
In the late 50's,the AF had a camp w/trailers on the Perdenales River.($2 a nite).Fishing was good and plenty of exploring/wildlife.The air base is now gone in Austin(BergstromAFB),might be worth finding out about that camp area.

rochoa8

Oct 29, 2007
Hi,

Sorry guys....

The following is an excerpt from Austin's Parks and Recreation department's web site. I called to "get a permit" (thinking I could get one) and the guy who answered the phone said pretty much that a permit for "recreational metal detecting" wouldn't be approved. Great news, eh? Can you believe that?

Park Rules
Purpose: These rules are established as written guidelines for the use of City of Austin parks, wildlife preserves and recreational facilities. (City Code, Chapter 11-1). These rules are intended to secure and preserve the fullest enjoyment of parks and recreational facilities to a wide range of park patrons. Failure to abide by these rules shall be cause for removal. The commission of offenses under local ordinances or state law shall be cause for arrest.

Applicability: These rules apply to and in all parks, wildlife preserves and recreational facilities or areas belonging to the City or managed by or under the authority of the City. Wildlife preserved may be restricted access facilities, open only for limited recreational uses. These rules shall not apply to City, State or Federal agents or officials in the performance of official duties.

1.07 METAL DETECTORS

The use of metal detectors in City parks and wildlife preserves without a permit is prohibited.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it says that you must have a permit, then it would reason that a permit should be issued. I would like to see what excuse they use to deny a permit. Perhaps you should contact any local Treasure hunting club and find out what the deal is. I would like to see a couple of hundred people apply for permits. That would shake something loose, especially if you wrote the Mayor and councelors in regards to same. I don't know what the form of government is in Austin, but friends and families of detectorists cast votes and that could amount to a lot of votes come election time. I wouldn't just roll over and play dead, but stir things up. Too many times we are guilty of just shrugging it off and saying, "Oh well and going on without even trying". So I encourage any of you Austinites to get proactive. Monty

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I wrote and were told he permits are for official use only, not for the public. They gave some lame excuse which I don't remember right now. So what it boils down to is, there are no permits.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the next step is to write to your two state congressmen or whoever represents you in your elective district and copy the governor. Monty

ke5fbh

Apr 9, 2008
the govt in the city of austin is screwy - if you are not about global warming or riding a bicycle then chances sre you have no voice at city council or the mayors office - they just dont want to hear ir and you cant make them

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
They will let you hunt for a personal item. I lost a ring during a rugby tourney back in the early 80's and they allowed me to hunt the area. No luck finding it and yes they had someone with me the whole time.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason they get away with this crap is because you guys let them. If you really want to be able to hunt the parks in Austin, you are going to have to get someone's attention. If you do like I said.....join a treasure hunting club and have every member apply for a permit at about the same time, then notify the media, the city fathers are going to have to take notice. If the City requires a permit, then they have to have an official reason for denying a permit. Saying that they are for official use only doesn't even make sense. Get an attorney to represent you in a class action. Most attorneys are required by the state bar to perform so many hours of free service to maintain their license. Call around and you will probably get one to do it "pro bono" or without a fee. Get in touch with the local historic preservation people and offer to donate any historic artifacts you might find. (That doesn't include coins and jewelry by any stretch of the imagination). Anyone who is hunting parks isn't trying to get rich anyway I would think. I have a couple of coffee cans full of park finds that I just get out and look at every now and then and most treasure hunters do. Now if that particular park you want to hunt has been declared a historical monument or area, they have an excuse, so avoid them. just a few suggestions that I know will require some action on the part of those who just say "no". Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread