AWESOME FRIEND, 1663 DUTCH SILVER, BUCKLES, BUTTONS, MUSKET BALLS.....

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing fun about detecting by myself which is why I was greatful to find a great hunting buddy in Bill D. We both share a love for researching and detecting 17th and 18th century colonial sites. Bill is all-around great guy, so much so that after finding his awesome Lord Baltimore coin, he bought me a new Teknetics T2 even after I practically begged him not to. Nobody has ever done anything that nice for me, EVER!! Thank you so much Bill!!

This machine is light years better than my old T2. It's super quiet and the fast audio is perfect for extremely iron-y sites and the boost mode adds inches to the already deep depths this thing gets. It's been tough for me to find time to get out and try this thing but the stars aligned today and I was able to get out and give this detector a good test drive.

I went back to a pounded out site and ran the T2 through a tough iron patch and pulled out a few button, buckles and lead balls. Then I strolled out deep into the fields, turned on the boost mode and pulled out a cut 1663 dutch silver. Without the boost mode I would have walked right over this coin.

Edit: after soaking in lime juice a little longer, the coin is actually a 1633 not 1663 dutch lion dollar.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely looks like the same coin. But I'm a little baffled about the size. Those lion dollars shown in your link are 41.6mm in diameter which would make each straight edge of your cut piece about 21mm. But it doesn't look nearly that big in your pic, but its hard to tell. Regardless it's an awesome find.

I soaked it a little more in lime juice and it's actually 1633. Here's a picture of it next to the 1690s dutch coin I found last year around the same spot.

ForumRunner_20141227_200742.png

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Finding a cut silver is great, but its always nicer when the date is on the part you found!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I soaked it a little more in lime juice and it's actually 1633. Here's a picture of it next to the 1690s dutch coin I found last year around the same spot.

View attachment 1097671

That's even better. Isn't that the oldest item that's been recovered from that site? And maybe that other coin needs a lime juice bath too ....

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's even better. Isn't that the oldest item that's been recovered from that site? And maybe that other coin needs a lime juice bath too ....

yeah, that's the oldest from there. I keep wanting to hang that site up but with this new machine I might be going back there a few more times :laughing7:

The other coin's in the diluted lime bath right now.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Joey, I like the cut Dutch piece. What a nice gesture on Bill's part. I hope that you make lots of great finds with that machine!

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Joey, I like the cut Dutch piece. What a nice gesture on Bill's part. I hope that you make lots of great finds with that machine!

Thanks Steve!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread