What's new

BABE RUTH FIND

bibitte2

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
95
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hy Guys, Girlz,

I got called by a man to empty is basemant, he had a lot of collectibles and no use for them. The deal was to take all of the boxes and not pick and choose. So i did, empty everything and glad i did.

One small box was very heavy, When i opened it up, it was full of printing plates (If you can call that box break...lol). When i got home, i opened it & found that most of them are very old and Hockey/Baseball and other sports related....

I scaned a few i found this cool printing plate of the Bambino with Jimmy Fox, Hank Greenberg, Ralph Kiner, Hack Wilson.

The other two i scaned are Roy Campanella and a player from the Montreal Royal i can't yet identify....

Total, i must have at least 50-60 sports printing plates and another 50 to double check....but i saw boxing also...
.
.

.

.
.
Lmk what you think...
 
Last edited:
Upvote 18
I think you have a very interesting clean out there. I can't wait to see what it could be and the value. Congrats!
 
I'll tell you right up front that I know nothing about printing plates , but it's hard to imagine there wouldn't be some value there with those
legends ! give us an update when you find out more !
 
Anything original with Ruth on it is very valuable. Interested to see what you find out. Do you have anybody locally you can have check them out?
 
interesting for sure
 
Thanks for the heads up gang....

Nobody here near Montreal can be of any help for this one......I guess i should talk to a Babe Ruth expert or collector to have an idea of the value of this plate.

A lot of the plates remains to be identified but from what i see they are from the 50's and before. I see 3, maybe 4 from the Montreal Royals, some from the Yanks and Boston, chicago...

1 for sure is Roy Campanella holding bat in Dodgers uniform...

3 Olympic skaters

And some Montreal Canadiens and other NHL teams.....i think i see Bobby Hull on one, if that's the case, it would be is 1958 rookie year meaning one of the first Hull picture around, that would be awesome...

Ill keep you guys up to date as i find infos....

Thanks for the help guys...
 
Try the Babe RuthMuseumin Baltimore.

very cool find
 
Here's another Yankees printing plate....But dont have the players yet....
.
.

.
 
Here's the last found printing plate from the lot...

This one is a Mantle/Mize/Reynolds and i found the original picture that come's from the Boston Globe Archives.....this photo was taken after the 1952 World series in the clubhouse....This picture was sold at auction...
.
Lot Detail - 1952 Mickey Mantle Johnny Mize Allie Reynolds New York Yankees "Boston Herald Archives" Original 6.5" x 9" Photo (Boston Herald Hologram/MEARS LOA)
.
.

Tell them you want your commission, if you own the plates you must own the photo rites. Also I would contact yankees stadium at 646-977-8400 and ask to speak to their museum curator . I am really interested to see where this leads. The phone number I have listed is for the events coordinator, inside the museum, so you will need a different extension or number but should get you in contact with someone that can help...
 
Hi there! There is no such thing as Montréal Royals. We had the Expos and we have the Mount Royal (a hill!). I cant see the picture of an Expos player. Would be glad to help!
 
Hi there! There is no such thing as Montréal Royals.

There was a Montreal Royals AAA minor league team in the 1940's because Jackie Robinson played for them before playing for the Dodgers.
 
Even if the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are not interested in the Printing Plates, there is always the possibility that Heritage Auctions might be interested and as a last resort, there is always eBay. There are a lot of Auctions on eBay for Printing Plates having to do with Baseball and other Sports. I am unsure if these are the same as to what you found but I have included a link below to the Auctions just for "Sold" items having to do with Babe Ruth for you to check out. Please keep us apprised of what you find out!

printing plate babe ruth | eBay


Frank
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's the printing plate of Roy Campanella....
.
.

.
 
And here's the first Montreal Royals picture.....

Catcher....
.

.
 
You previously mentioned that you had some hockey plates? Any pics of those yet?

Whites Quantum II with a Quantum 7.8 coil

Beverly, MA
 
Yep.....here's the Boum Boum Geoffrion with Marlene Monrenz, doughter of famous Howie Morenz...
.
 
Here's another Yankees printing plate....But dont have the players yet....
.
.

.

I don't know who they are, but I believe they're Giants, not Yankees.
 
Tell them you want your commission, if you own the plates you must own the photo rites. Also I would contact yankees stadium at 646-977-8400 and ask to speak to their museum curator . I am really interested to see where this leads. The phone number I have listed is for the events coordinator, inside the museum, so you will need a different extension or number but should get you in contact with someone that can help...

I could be completely wrong on this but I don't think owning printing plates is the same as owning the negative.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom