Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

On December 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] I returned for a brief 1hr hunt to a portion of the Windfields farm site that I haven’t hit in almost 2 years. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the fields had been turned and decided it was worth a shot. :thumbsup: The old vaccination bottle was an eyeball find and the only non-ferrous target of interest was a brass racehorse halter nameplate. I didn’t notice it at first, but it has a different horses name stamped on each side, obviously it was reused at some point. :icon_scratch:

Brief History of Windfields Farm

Windfields Farm was a 1,500-acre thoroughbred horse-breeding farm founded by businessman E. P. Taylor in Oshawa, Ontario. The site was sold a few years ago to a homebuilder who is currently developing the property. It’s located about 3kms north of where I live and I’ve been detecting here on and off for 2 years now. The first stable and breeding operation of E. P. Taylor originated with a property near the city of Toronto known as Parkwood Stable when Colonel Sam McLaughlin of McLaughlin Automobile fame owned it. The property was purchased by Taylor and became known as The National Stud of Canada until he sold it and bought a new property in Oshawa he called Windfields Farm in honor of his first great champion. As population growth overtook the operation, it eventually expanded to include a second farm in Chesapeake City, Maryland. Windfields Farm in Ontario is the birthplace of racing great and champion sire Northern Dancer, winner of the 1964 Kentucky Derby, in stakes record time, the Preakness Stakes, and the Queen's Plate. Retired from racing after the 1964-racing season, he went on to an even more brilliant career at stud.

Led by Northern Dancer, in the 1960s Windfields Farm earned more prize money than any other stable in North American Thoroughbred racing. Windfields bred Northern Dancer's sons Nijinsky, Secreto, and The Minstrel, all of whom won England's most prestigious race, the Epsom Derby In 1968, a barn fire at the Maryland division resulted in the death of thirteen horses that had just arrived from the Canadian farm. Included in the horses that died were twelve mares, three of which were in foal to Northern Dancer and one to Nearctic. Northern Dancer spent most of his years at stud at the Maryland division, which also became home to other sires such as Dancer's Image and Assert. A national icon in Canada, Northern Dancer died in 1990 at Windfields' Maryland farm but was returned to his birthplace in Oshawa for burial. The National Thoroughbred Racing Association states that Northern Dancer is "one of the most influential sires in Thoroughbred history," and the Daily Racing Form calls Northern Dancer the most influential sire of the 20th century. Northern Dancer is regarded as the 20th century's best sire of sires.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• 20151223_090056_resized-crop.jpg
    20151223_090056_resized-crop.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20151223_090302_resized-crop.jpg
    20151223_090302_resized-crop.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20151223_091556-1_resized.jpg
    20151223_091556-1_resized.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20151225_134745_resized-crop.jpg
    20151225_134745_resized-crop.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 87
  • 20151225_134810_resized-crop.jpg
    20151225_134810_resized-crop.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 8

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty neat that the plate was reused for a different horse. That's a nice little bottle too Dave. Hope the holiday season is a good one for you and the family.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
Street Ballet

Street Ballet was a nice mare she had 18 races won 6 ran 6 seconds and 3 thirds and was a stakes winner of 174,718.00 she was a good brood mare and produced several winners one that made almost 500,000.00, Great find.
On December 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] I returned for a brief 1hr hunt to a portion of the Windfields farm site that I haven’t hit in almost 2 years. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the fields had been turned and decided it was worth a shot. :thumbsup: The old vaccination bottle was an eyeball find and the only non-ferrous target of interest was a brass racehorse halter nameplate. I didn’t notice it at first, but it has a different horses name stamped on each side, obviously it was reused at some point. :icon_scratch:

Brief History of Windfields Farm

Windfields Farm was a 1,500-acre thoroughbred horse-breeding farm founded by businessman E. P. Taylor in Oshawa, Ontario. The site was sold a few years ago to a homebuilder who is currently developing the property. It’s located about 3kms north of where I live and I’ve been detecting here on and off for 2 years now. The first stable and breeding operation of E. P. Taylor originated with a property near the city of Toronto known as Parkwood Stable when Colonel Sam McLaughlin of McLaughlin Automobile fame owned it. The property was purchased by Taylor and became known as The National Stud of Canada until he sold it and bought a new property in Oshawa he called Windfields Farm in honor of his first great champion. As population growth overtook the operation, it eventually expanded to include a second farm in Chesapeake City, Maryland. Windfields Farm in Ontario is the birthplace of racing great and champion sire Northern Dancer, winner of the 1964 Kentucky Derby, in stakes record time, the Preakness Stakes, and the Queen's Plate. Retired from racing after the 1964-racing season, he went on to an even more brilliant career at stud.

Led by Northern Dancer, in the 1960s Windfields Farm earned more prize money than any other stable in North American Thoroughbred racing. Windfields bred Northern Dancer's sons Nijinsky, Secreto, and The Minstrel, all of whom won England's most prestigious race, the Epsom Derby In 1968, a barn fire at the Maryland division resulted in the death of thirteen horses that had just arrived from the Canadian farm. Included in the horses that died were twelve mares, three of which were in foal to Northern Dancer and one to Nearctic. Northern Dancer spent most of his years at stud at the Maryland division, which also became home to other sires such as Dancer's Image and Assert. A national icon in Canada, Northern Dancer died in 1990 at Windfields' Maryland farm but was returned to his birthplace in Oshawa for burial. The National Thoroughbred Racing Association states that Northern Dancer is "one of the most influential sires in Thoroughbred history," and the Daily Racing Form calls Northern Dancer the most influential sire of the 20th century. Northern Dancer is regarded as the 20th century's best sire of sires.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you sure know a lot about that racehorse manorman !
Congratulations on that nameplate antiquarian

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool name plate Dave, I didn't realize that there was a name on it when you sent the picture over. I need a bigger screen on the tab. :) I wonder why they'd use the same plate over again I'm wondering if Street Ballet was related? Man that ground looks like it rough going!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pretty neat that the plate was reused for a different horse. That's a nice little bottle too Dave. Hope the holiday season is a good one for you and the family.
Thank you for your post Dave! :occasion14:
I've found a couple of halter plates at the Windfields Farm site, but this is the first double-side one I've ever seen. :icon_scratch:

Hope that you and your family had a great Christmas too my friend,
Dave

Street Ballet was a nice mare she had 18 races won 6 ran 6 seconds and 3 thirds and was a stakes winner of 174,718.00 she was a good brood mare and produced several winners one that made almost 500,000.00, Great find.

Thank you very much for the stats on this racehorse manorman, I had now idea!
I did know that Street Ballet came out of the Nijinsky & Northern Dancer bloodline. :thumbsup:

Sea Beach - born 1980 (Kennedy Road, Victoria Park)
Street Ballet - born 1977 (Nijinsky, Northern Dancer)

Thanks again for the information,
Dave

Wow you sure know a lot about that racehorse manorman !
Congratulations on that nameplate antiquarian

Thanks very much for your post IndianaHunter27! :icon_thumleft:

Very cool name plate Dave, I didn't realize that there was a name on it when you sent the picture over. I need a bigger screen on the tab. :) I wonder why they'd use the same plate over again I'm wondering if Street Ballet was related? Man that ground looks like it rough going!

Neither did I Jim, :laughing7: I did know immediately that it was a halter name plate though.
I don't know why they reused the same name plate over again either, but at least we know they were both here 35 years ago! :thumbsup:

Hope that diesel plate worked well for you,
Dave

That Sea Beach tag is way cool

Thanks for your post Randy! :thumbsup:

interesting find and history

Thanks buddy, my only wish is that the vaccination bottle hadn't been cracked. :laughing7:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread