topazguy

Greenie
Apr 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Omega 8000, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

A few people were asking about the backlight mod I run on my Delta so I wanted to at least share a pic of what it looks like. I'm posting from the road (so on my phone) but I'll provide more images and details tomorrow.

Thanks!

Topazguy

Attachments

• 1428034482411.jpg
    1428034482411.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 1428034681117.jpg
    1428034681117.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 291

tek-billiot

Greenie
Feb 28, 2015
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks awesome! I can't wait to try it!

OP
OP
T

topazguy

Greenie
Apr 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Omega 8000, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more detail, but first a shout out to Gato Supreme for motivating me to do this!

The mod consists of mounting an EL (electroluminescent) panel behind the LCD of your detector and driving it with an external power source. These both can be picked up on eBay for a few bucks each.

The panels can generally be cut to fit your screen (just remember to tape the edge you cut or you will have stray voltage escaping from the cut) and will easily fit behind the Delta 4000 LCD screen. Once you measure and cut the panel, slip it into place and tape it to a corner of the circuit board using a small piece of electrical tape.

You will then need to run the wiring from the panel to your power source. The Delta 4000 didn't have a pre-made hole, so I had to drill a small hole in the bottom of the housing to get the wiring out. I installed a rubber grommet to ensure the wires don't wear and ran the power source wiring through it, topping it (from inside the housing) with a tiny bit of silicone to keep any dust out.

One thing to note is that the power source and panel wiring both have clips that were too large for me to get through the detector housing. I cut them both off and simply soldered the wires together for a permanent connection. Once that is all done and in place, I used some Velcro to affix the power source off to the left side of the detector. This prevents excess wire from dangling around and reduces the risk of getting it caught/snagged on something.

That is pretty much it! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I will do what I can to help.

tek-billiot

Greenie
Feb 28, 2015
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make a YouTube video... Lol

Top Member Reactions