What's new

Baja Beach Ring....

Greastart

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2014
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1,547
Golden Thread
0
Location
Far North Corner of CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I brought my ATP to Baja with me for some fun in the sand. Having never used it near any kind of salt I wasn't prepared the the wild, unstable readings I got first time I tried to use it near the wet, salt sand.

With the help of some of the folks here on the Garrett forum I was able to go out and have some fun. Found some pretty thrashed modern Peso coins, a modern US quarter, equally salt thrashed, and lots and lots and lots of pull tabs, bottle caps, boat parts, and some fish hooks.

Also found a ring and it's stone. I think the ring was silver plated at one time as I still see a few little hints of silvery color up close.

The ring rang up at a solid 80 in about 4" of very dry sand. Once I got it out of the hole and looked at it a bit I told myself to look for whatever bling it had once held. Soon as I had that thought, there was the stone lying just at the rim of the hole. I think it must have fell out as I dug it. The stone looks like some kind of "Tiger's Eye" thing. I'm no rockhound. It sort of shimmers and becomes a bit translucent in the sunlight.

The stone has been mechanically flattened and smoothed. It fits almost perfectly in the ring prongs and if I look carefully, I can just make out where the prongs were on the stone.

Not much of a ring, but it's a ring with a story. I'll keep it.

Thanks to all that offered assistance to a frustrated newb. I'll be back out as soon as I can find enough shade to swing a coil. Beach Ring.webpHooks.webp
 
Upvote 14
Nice job and congrats on the ring! :occasion14:
 
Ouch ! Those hooks look like they could do some damage to a bare foot. Nice removal.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom