tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by for a moment to check out this site as I saw a sign that said Baker Arch. site 2 miles off the highway. To me it was a bit of a mystery as why the native Fremont people built this location far from any water around in the middle of this open flat landscape. I'm sure 700 years ago the climate was not as it is today and they were a agricultural people and maybe things just grew better at this very location they chose back then? The foundations seen are modern ones made of adobe that line over the top of the original excavation as it was covered up after they archeologist did their research in the 1990s. Sadly the place is nothing but acres and acres of cheat grass today and this one flowering plant near by. https://www.nps.gov/grba/learn/historyculture/baker-archeological-site.htm

Attachments

• baker village 1.jpg
    baker village 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • baker village 2.jpg
    baker village 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
  • baker village 3.jpg
    baker village 3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
  • baker village 4.jpg
    baker village 4.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • baker village 5.jpg
    baker village 5.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

This statement from the article just seems a little contradictory to me. :icon_scratch:

After the excavations, the site was backfilled (reburied with the dirt that was removed during excavation), a necessary step in protecting the cultural features that remain. As a result, the foundations of the village can no longer be seen on the surface.

Thanks for the history, Tamrock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back