mts said:
I did a post about severe loss of depth on the Silver uMax when turning the discrimination up all the way. On my machine, I can't even detect a dime at 1" with discrimination up all the way. Be sure to test your machine with high discrimination settings so you know how much depth you'll be losing if you choose to use it.
'mts', I agree with your concluding comment about the Silver µMAX being a good unit for the dollar, especially for the average newcomer to the sport.
What caught my attention was this quoted portion of your post. I know that when set at the maximum Discrimination setting it can impair depth and performance a little, but on my Silver µMAX I am certainly not struggling to detect a 10¢ at less than an inch.
Did you buy your Silver µMAX new or used? Have you tinkered with the GB trimmer or have you checked it for performance? many Tesoro models have too much GB offset from a manual GB adjustment (
for those with manual GB control), and those like the Silver Sabre µMAX with a preset GB also have a Threshold audio All Metal or Pinpoint function so you can check them. It's possible your Silver µMAX GB trimmer is set too positive.
I have helped adjust the trimmer of a few used units people acquired and I believe a former owner or tinkerer misadjusted them as they were way too positive. A too positive GB setting with many Tesoro's in the All Metal mode can cause them to lose detection of a big silver $1, often a silver or clad 50¢, and sometimes even encroach on the detection of a 25¢ coin.
because the Silver µMAX doesn't have a true All metal mode and is silent-search only, the GB trimmer has to be set for a 'proper' functional GB setting using a technique I've used and taught for 30+ years. I coined the term '
Power Balancing' to describe it because you are adjusting the GB setting for peak power and performance in the Discriminate mode. It is most notable on the Tesoro models to have a too-high Disc. mode GB.
If you are familiar with tinkering with the innards and haven't read about this technique elsewhere, shoot me an e-mail and I will explain Power Balancing to you.
monte@ahrps.org
I'll add here that I almost never run with my discrimination set high, seldom adjusting higher than simple iron nail rejection.
Monte