terryin pa said:
Why should anyone need an account to exchange a small sum of money someone else exchanged. Its not like they are ordering anything . The tellers are there anyway so they dont need to pay them extra or anything. The banks are government backed with OUR (the taxpayers) money. They should have to do some basic services for the taxpayers free of charge ! How would it be if the service station said you need an account here to buy gas. Or the supermarket. Do you have an account here? Oh I'm sorry sir you cant buy groceries unless you do. When you go ask for 1/2's your paying face value so why such a big deal. Think how the post office (another government backed agency which is self supporting) services the public in so many ways with far less income than the banks and they make a profit. They will deliver a letter door to door clear across the country for .42 , I'd like to see you put a check at your door and see if the bank takes the cash to the recipents door. LOL . You could have a million dollars in the bank and they wouldnt do it. The postal service isnt in our pockets for a bailout either. Like I said , perhaps one day I'll need a car loan and think BOA for example is friendly when I go there for 1/2's ,so I'll patronize them . XYZ Bank wont give 1/2's without me being a customer so now Im not good enough as well.
Your own response backs up what I say. If you go buy gas somewhere, you are their customer. If you go to a grocery store to buy stuff, you are their customer. If you are not the customer of a bank and they refuse to give you halves, perhaps it is because they have customers that patronize said business who go there and ask for them and they are saving them for customers. When you send a letter you are paying the postal service via stamp to deliver it for you.
Would you call up a doctor or lawyer where you are not a patient or client and expect free treatment advice or legal advice? Why should banks waste their time dealing with a person who is not a customer but wants the bank to do stuff for them for free? Again, I go to some banks that do provide said service for free and I am amazed that they do it.
The postal service is a government agency, private banks are not. Even though private banks might receive bailout money. Some banks will soon be "nationalized" as our country slips into the abyss of a new great depression, but that is another story all together. I just read today that the postal service is now requesting that they only deliver the mail 5 days a week instead of 6 because they are losing money. I hope they let them do that or stamps are gonna be $1 each soon. P.S. I think our postal service does a great job, so I am not knocking them in any way. With all the faxes and UPS and Fed Ex competition the postal service is not making the money it once did I suppose.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D960C7KG0&show_article=1
Jim