Banks ARE Forcing Me To Buy

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
My last box on Tuesday at a PNC because, the Vault Teller would have to talk to her manager if I wanted to order boxes every week which I took to mean she didn't want to do it so I told her to forget about next week's order. The box gave up 11 90%'s and 16 40%'s (no 40%'s pic).

22613ft11.jpg

Today I picked up 2 boxes from what was my best pick-up bank for the last two years because their fees will start on March 1st. They let me down easy with 1 90% 1994S, a clad 94S, a silver 1976S, a 2005 clad proof, and another Balboa. Thought it was funny that on both days I found a Balboa.

22813halfs.jpg 22813halfrev.jpg

Counting the 76S, the last two free boxes gave up another 24 40%'s today.

2281340s.jpg

This all came now after the last 8 boxes gave up two 40%'s. I got a box of nickels at another branch of the same bank to see if she would say anything about the fee on boxes but she didn't. I wonder if the Teller causing me the troubles will try to make me pay 5 a box for the 2 dimes and a nickel I ordered last week tomorrow, if so she can keep them.

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the hubbub about Balboas - that they are bad luck? If so, awesome! I found a Balboa in last night's dime box.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is that the hubbub about Balboas - that they are bad luck? If so, awesome! I found a Balboa in last night's dime box.

I love the Balboas, but I've only found 2 Balboa halves so far. When I say I love the Balboas I should clarify, I love finding any and all foreign coins. Normally you'd have to go to that country to get the coin, but in this case the coin found you.

HH

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty impressed with myself for finding it in the dime box too. I was just edge searching. There's only a slight difference between the dime and the balboa. When I saw "BALBOA" on the coin, I finally learned what you guys were talking about.

Also - not meaning to hijack the thread. Awesome finds Minky! I am quite envious as I am beginning to forget what it is like finding anything in boxes of halves! ;)

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, it was the BALBOA if I find a BALBOA in a case of halves usually it yields no silver.

Sorry about your BALBOA

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gentlemen, it was the BALBOA if I find a BALBOA in a case of halves usually it yields no silver.

Sorry about your BALBOA

Every time that I have found a Balboa I have found silver in the same boxes. I'm hoping to find a silver Balboa soon. Last one I found was from the 80's, and if I remember 1970 or older is silver. They are made by the US Mint.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering that I found two silver Balboas on Feb. 6 (1947 and 1968), I can't consider them bad luck.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time that I have found a Balboa I have found silver in the same boxes. I'm hoping to find a silver Balboa soon. Last one I found was from the 80's, and if I remember 1970 or older is silver. They are made by the US Mint.
That's odd my results concerning BALBOA have been the opposite, maybe i don't have enough respect for the BALBOA.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those results I might just pay the fee for awhile and see what happens.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Those are not close to my normal results, I seldom find any 90%'s and mostly it runs in spurts where I have 3 to 5 bad or so so weeks and then it seems like every bank and branch that I use to pick-up will have OK boxes. Last weeks boxes were exceptional. I was thinking about playing it like blackjack and get 2 boxes a week until I feel ready to hit and then order 5 or 10. I'm going to just try to get another free pick-up bank first.

Only one bank started charging me a fee, the other, PNC, just had a Vault Teller who seemed like she didn't want to bother with getting me boxes every week and I am still getting them at the bank in my hometown. There is another PNC even closer than her bank I could try ordering from, I was going to her because I was dumping at a BOA right next door.

One of the Balboas was an ender, I now have 5 half and 3 dime coins, and they are only good or bad luck if you spin around on your head five times when you find one. Works both ways, just depends on which way you spin. Trust me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread