Bannerstone Buy? I'm Going In....Cover Me!

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since I already own a couple fake slate artifacts, I don't need another. :laughing7:

I thought that this time....I would try to be more careful, and more knowledgeable than when last I purchased a slate item. From the two photos sent to me, so far I like it. Not sure the owner is going to let me send it off for authentication. I will take better photos and post in a few days.

b1.JPG

b2.JPG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it. I also think those authentication papers make good TP.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It doesn't look bad to me. It looks like a nice utilitarian Bannerstone from your area. (Shield/Thick Wing variety, small judging by the hole.) Money isn't everything, but don't over pay for it. Bannerstones aren't nearly as expensive as many people think, or better said, not all complete examples are worth thousands of dollars.

You might look for spots of restoration. Slate isn't that hard to fill with plaster or putty and paint. Temperature check is really the easiest way, but holding an artifact to your lips might look odd to some. You can also tap with your finger nail and listen for a difference in sound.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd say it's OK too. The fakes I'm accustomed to seeing are obviously incorrect or just TOO good. That one looks well used as Joshua pointed out. They were reed-drilled w/sand mostly if not exclusively.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
be wary of them, it could be good. There are many reproductions out there. Look for mineralization. Check the damage area on the hole.

Its possible the damaged area is a breakout IF it is a reproduction and the drill was started from the smaller side using a machine drill, it could have popped out and fractured the area around the hole as shown in the image.

Without visually inspecting and holding it, its hard to say if is authentic or not. Use a good loupe with a light.

2020-02-10_15-59-57.jpg

Ben Thompson; past CSASI officer and Who's Who fame, used to pull out a hole diameter gauge and a micrometer, measure the banner hole in a few locations and check the sizes measured. They should not be a current drill bit size., he would say. I was with him more than once at his home when he performed these tests.

Good luck.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hole in an authentic banner is tapered. It's drilled from one end only, and the end they start on gets more wear from the sand, making the finished hole tapered. Eye the hole from each end. You should be able to see that one end is a larger diameter than the other. Gary

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I can agree with Gary on the configuration of a hollow reed drilled banner. This cylindrical hole style of drilling produces a core similar to my core (shown) obtained from Ben Thompson and shown here prior.
20180120_075020.jpg

But not all authentic banners have a cylindrical hole the result of hollow reed drilling.

The drilling of a banner, most often made of slate, with a stone drill produces a conical hole. This drilling is often from both end of the banner stone barrel and would meet somewhere in the middle. Two cone shaped holes with a smaller diameter hole meeting the two cones.

slate_butterfly3.jpg

This style of drilling yields a shaped hole similar to what is seen on some pendants and gorgets but on a larger scale.
slate_butterfly1.jpg

slate_butterfly2.jpg

The bannerstone shown below was found by my relic hunting partner and best friend of 30 years Darrell in a field across the creek close to my home. I was with him when he found this bannerstone.

I believe a banner stone drilled is not as common as the hollow reed, but this is a personal thought not based on any statistics. I have 22 banners in my collection. This is the only one drilled in this fashion, I have a box full of broken banners and will review those when time allows.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks dognose and others....very informative about the two possible drilling methods and resulting hole profiles. Seller accepted my reasonable offer...but we can't get together until late next week. Interestingly enough, seller found this stone while digging bottles on a stream bank, and is not a NA collector, and did not know what a bannerstone was all about.

I assume its banded slate originated in Ohio, wouldn't you say?

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bannerstone showed up in mail early!

I would say the hole is slightly conical - not as dramatically conical as the dognose example. And the hole certainly does not resemble a stone-drilled hole. An interesting technique would be to fill the hole with a substance that would shrink slightly upon drying, allowing that 'core' to be removed and examined, obviously with no damage to the slate. Any ideas?

Meanwhile, I took a photo with my phone camera pointed through the lens of my 'scope, at 10x. Modern Day Technological Redneck Photomicroscopy. Those interior wall markings - pitting - sure don't look like a modern drill bit made them! I see mineralization throughout the interior walls of the hole (may not be evident in the photo) , as well as on several places on exterior of the piece.

I love it! 20200215_141204.jpg

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is really cool! Great job with the redneck photography skills. Seems like you got a genuine bannerstone, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions