Barber/Indian pocket dump, tribe of Indians. Dead as a door nail.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried a new spot in the woods 2 days ago. Only got an hour in before the rain, but did manage to find a small pocket spill with 2 Barber dimes and an Indian. Also found a door nail. For those unfamiliar, for a century or two ago for doors they would bend the nail over twice and pound it into the back of the door. Kept it from coming loose. This is a typical square nail turned door nail. Didn't find anything else in the woods, but 2 Barbers and an Indian in less than an hour detecting is a good hour in my book.

Hit my favorite park yesterday and although I didn't come up with much in silver I did score a bunch of Indians and wheaties. All the Indians and most of the wheaties were 6-8 inches deep. Couple of neat little buttons too. The one showing the back is lead or pewter. Found a couple of buffaloes, a V nickel and a war nickel that I think is "Old Dudes". Last by not least, I'd like to know the girl who was wearing this piece of jewerly. Not sure if it's a toe ring, ear cuff or something else.

I truly consider myself fortunate that I can go out and make finds like this. Many people in newer areas won't find that many Indians in a year. Even the Barber and V nickel are on many bucket lists. Also, if I had swung my loop a couple of feet one way or another I would have never found the pocket dump and walked out of the woods empty handed. Yes, I'm pretty good with my detector, but I do know luck when I see it. Hope you all add a bucket list find today!

finds 10-9-15 obv.jpg finds 10-9-15 rev.jpg

finds 10-10-15 indians.jpg 20151011_114708.jpg

20151011_114750.jpg 20151011_114812.jpg

20151011_114849 door nail.jpg 20151011_114916.jpg

My buddy Charles below in the early morning park.

20151010_073031.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15
Nice finds Don. I like the pic of you alone in the field digging a target. I can actually hear the peace and quiet in that picture. That statement makes no sense, I know. But I know you understand what I mean. 8-)

Congrats on pulling those treasures. That is a lot of IHPs for 1 hunt. :thumbsup:

Great job Donnie! now thats what a wheatie looks like when it is dug lol! maybe you need an ultrasonic cleaner! great saves though man!

What a wonderful bunch of finds. Not sure about the ring, its a little eclectic. Congrats!

I am thinking they may not have lost that ring, but threw it away lol. Nice finds on everything else:icon_thumright:

Nice finds Don. I like the pic of you alone in the field digging a target. I can actually hear the peace and quiet in that picture. That statement makes no sense, I know. But I know you understand what I mean. 8-)

Actually that's my friend Charles, "Taltahull" in this forum doing the digging. It was just nice getting to the park so early before it got crowded.

Ah... I was probably putting another beaver tail in my pouch... And again... you had a great day in terms of finds ! But I did have a great day too with 5 IH and a nice naval button. I'll probably post it to have people tell me more about it. I'd like to be able to put a date on it.
It was certainly a great day out, a sunny and still warm October day. Plus, we incredibly got lucky with the traffic and the crowd !! (I also owe you 2 hot dogs now...)

I'm with Evo, that picture is of digging alone is great. Something to hang in the office I suppose. Great finds Don!

Great pocket spill!
Good hunting!!

NOW THERE A RING THATS A CONVERSATION PEICE . THATS THE ONE THEY ARE GIVING OUT A THE WHITEHOUSE .

That ring reminds of a........ummm... nevermind.

great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back