What's new

Barber Question/Help........

LJ

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no coin expert by any means so I am looking for some opinions on this Barber. Looking at the date there is a mark between the '9' & the '0'. I don't know if this is some type of re-stamp error or if it was done post mintage. I just have no clue.

I tried to get a really close up but I lose focus when I got too close....might have been my eyes crossing.....ha!

Any ideas...thoughts? Thanks in advance......
 

Attachments

  • P5240018.webp
    P5240018.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 489
  • P5240019.webp
    P5240019.webp
    47 KB · Views: 481
  • P5240020.webp
    P5240020.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 486
  • P5240021.webp
    P5240021.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0
That looks like it came from the mint that way. My vote is either a die break or a piece of silver got cought in the die press and was stamped into the coin.
 
Did you find that today- you lucky dog?
 
I agree die chip. I'm no expert my self but as I understand it the die gets a chip in it and as the coin is being pressed the hot silver gets deposited in the void in the die. As it's lifting it drips back onto the coin. I find the whole die error/ Double Die / RPM thing pretty confusing. I look for these types of errors but mainly the common know ones 55 and 72 cents, the problem is so does everyone else since they were known of. O' well its all for fun.
H/H Ryan
 
The dark area under the raised area, is that recessed? If so it would be post mint damage.
 
Seeing the reverse. It looks like a raised surface (as described above, die chip) and not punched from the back no evidence in the photo to indicate aftermint damage. Plus It looks consistant with the wear on the rest of the coin. Of course that's not to say someone may have dripped a hot drop of silver on it after it left the mint 100 years ago.

Just an observation. Not an expert.

On a side note. You can take your photo's and enlarge them with an Adobe photo program and create a jpeg using a freeware program called printkey or some other photoshop software.

Mojo
 
Thanks for the opinions guys.

wayne1956 said:
The dark area under the raised area, is that recessed? If so it would be post mint damage.

No Wayne, it is not recessed. It is the same as the rest of the coin. The portion that connects with the '9' appears to have been over the '9'. ???

TXTim said:
Did you find that today- you lucky dog?

No Tim. This one I didn't find.....wish I would have....lol. I bought this one. I'm putting a Barber collection book together. This particular one came from an E-Bay purchase. I have about 10-12 left to get to finish off the book. Getting close.

You may remember me talking about this elderly man last year who used to CRH since he was about 15 years old. He has been selling his collection off. This is sad but he told me his wife and kids have no interest in coins whatsoever & if he doesn't sell them and something would happen to him they would just cash them in at the bank. This is an example of where some of the good stuff we find come from. Sad but true.

I have purchased two rolls of unc steel cents along with 4 other unc rolls of Wheat's plus some other odds and ends. Just goes to show that CRH has been around for a long time. Most of his good stuff is already gone.

One story he told me was his father used to drive a bus back in the day and at the end of his shift this guy who was then a kid would go through his Dad's box of coins the passengers used for fare for the day and cherry pick from the box. He said Morgans, Barbers & Walkers were very common on a daily basis but as a kid he just couldn't afford to keep everything so he picked out the key dates. He also told me....'if I knew then what I know now'.....lol. Then he told me stories of how he would go to banks purchase coins and go through them and return what he didn't want......CRH'ing. I mentioned to him that is what I do sometimes and have found some Walkers, a few Barbers and such. He was very surprised that these coins are still being found. He is just a sweet old guy.

I came across another elderly gentleman just recently who is 80 years old and has been collecting since he was 18 and he now is selling off his collection as well. He said he would put together a list of the coins with the price he wants for each and give me an opportunity to buy whatever he had. He said he had some "rare & scarce" coins. At this point I have no idea what they could be. I can't wait to get his list....kinda excited to see what this gentleman may have. He said his health is failing quick so he has to do something with them. He said it will keep his mind active. I really felt bad for this man. I could tell he had a deep passion for coins and collecting.

Anyway...too much coffee already this morning......I'm rambling........
 
Hi LJ,
Just on a side note, someone replied that the hot silver dripped back down. Coins aren't made froom melted material.

Happy Hunting!
 
enamel7 said:
Hi LJ,
Just on a side note, someone replied that the hot silver dripped back down. Coins aren't made froom melted material.

Happy Hunting!

This is correct, coins are stamped cold. Many tons of force on annealed metal causes the metal to fill each detail of the die. When the die is lifted, A new coin. If one does not know, please refrain from posting an answer, Guessing is not fact.
If the die has an imperfection, the coin will as well. Like the above coin.
Neat error. I am amazed it was circulated as much as it was with the error. But errors like this are not worth as much as others. But very cool find!
 
coinmojo said:
Seeing the reverse. It looks like a raised surface (as described above, die chip) and not punched from the back no evidence in the photo to indicate aftermint damage. Plus It looks consistant with the wear on the rest of the coin. Of course that's not to say someone may have dripped a hot drop of silver on it after it left the mint 100 years ago.

Just an observation. Not an expert.
Mojo

I am in fact not an expert. I was simpley speculating. My hot drop of silver comment was an observation. I clearly stated that my speculation was that it happend after it left the mint. I see coins that have been damaged and altered all the time. anything could have happend in the 100 years that that coin has been in circulation.

jewelerdave said:
enamel7 said:
Hi LJ,
Just on a side note, someone replied that the hot silver dripped back down. Coins aren't made froom melted material.

Happy Hunting!

This is correct, coins are stamped cold. Many tones of force on annealed metal causes the metal to fill each detail of the die. When the die is lifted, A new coin. If one does not know, please refrain from posting an answer, Guessing is not fact.
If the die has an imperfection, the coin will as well. Like the above coin.
Neat error. I am amazed it was circulated as much as it was with the error. But errors like this are not worth as much as others. But very cool find!


I do know that coins are stamped and not cast. So if the die has an imperfection how many coins do you suppose may have been released with this same error before the error was caught?......... 1?

And they use TONS of force and not tones. But it could be an a sharp I suppose. LOL :icon_scratch:

Mojo
 
Thanks again for the info folks......

coinmojo said:



And they use TONS of force and not tones. But it could be an a sharp I suppose. LOL :icon_scratch:

Mojo

Mojo.....that's funny......a sharp. Hilarious......you guys are good for a laugh from time to time.
 
I wasn't talking about your post Mojo, It was an earlier post. I understood what you meant.

Happy Hunting!
Gilbert
 
LJ said:
Thanks for the opinions guys.

wayne1956 said:
The dark area under the raised area, is that recessed? If so it would be post mint damage.

No Wayne, it is not recessed. It is the same as the rest of the coin. The portion that connects with the '9' appears to have been over the '9'. ???

I would have to agree with the other folks then, die chip. Very nice find.
 
Hey, LJ....

I dunno.....

I'd really like to view it under a illumanated & magnified viewing device. Since I ain't going to LA, and doubt you're traveling to GA, that ain't gonna happen........... :wink:

If it doesn't appear "incised" into the numerals, perhaps it was a planchet that had a lil' "blob" on it when struck.

Could be a die chip. Could be after mint modification ~ think someone soldering something (JewelerDave comes to mind) long ago and a drop hitting and adhearing to the surface of the coin.

I dunno.... but a cool find.

Robin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom