What's new

Bathroom remodel — my biggest takeaways

stephengrant

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Finally finished our bathroom remodel last month and thought I'd share what I learned for anyone thinking about one. The best money we spent was on a proper waterproofing membrane behind the tile and a good exhaust fan — boring stuff, but it's what actually lasts. My regret is not getting every change order in writing; small "while you're at it" tweaks added up faster than I expected. Anyone else doing a reno this year?
 
After hearing Jacuzzi's quote (for a tub to shower remodel), I canned the entire idea.
I imagined half their quote was for material, profit and overhead; the other half for their name.
No thanks.
Don in So Cal
 
I’m putting some feelers out. I’m afraid to get prices though LOL.

Funny story. My wife got locked out. Decided she was going to try and fit my son through the little bathroom window instead of waiting 10 minutes for me to come with keys. She pushed it in and it fell into the jacuzzi tub the previous home owner put in. The corner of the window frame punctured a hole in the tub. I had to find a patch and patched it. Now I’m tired of looking at the patch.
 
I converted my main bathroom tub to a marble shower about 15 years ago. Took everything out myself. I put up the green board for the shower, had a plumber redo the plumbing and reset the drain to the marble installers specs. So glad I did that conversion years ago as I have had several surgeries since that would have been tough getting in and out of the tub.
 
After hearing Jacuzzi's quote (for a tub to shower remodel), I canned the entire idea.
I imagined half their quote was for material, profit and overhead; the other half for their name.
No thanks.
Don in So Cal
Had a Kohler walk-in tub put in for my disabled brother. Folks thinking of putting in a walk-in tub should consider a tankless water heater because those things use a lot of hot water during the fill if you decide to use it as a hot tub.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom