Battle of Cove Mountain (Va.)

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
On May 10, 1864 2,500 Union raiders were stopped en route to Wytheville, Va., via Princeton, at Cove Mountain Gap in Wythe County. The ensuing four hour fight left several hundred casualties including around 130 Union KIA. Recently I had the chance to hunt some acreage along the escape route not far from the main battlefield and we had a little luck. Within a 40 yard area along what was then the Pearisburg Turnpike, we found a round ball (approx. .52 cal ), a fired Sharps, two fired standard Smith carbine rounds, one fired .50 cal Smith and the one I found... looks like a Conferderate .58 cal?? Any thoughts?

The picture shows the direction of the battlefield with the final phase of it spilling down this valley and along the creek east. To my right quarter runs the Pearisburg Pike and the approximate area we found that batch of lead. We did search the area near the creek to no avail.

DSCF1967.JPG

At least got a nice one so I can make my "Battle of Cove Mountain" display and move on to another battle.

Can anyone verify this bullet? Barely over an inch long and barely over a half inch diameter.

DSCF1970.JPG

Of course the ramrod markings are cool as hell. Couldn't be happier with it. Our thought is that Morgan's men, who had swung around to flank the Yanks, fired these rounds into the troops retreating along the pike. The Union rounds, my guess, were fired by retreating Union Cavalry at Confederates who were in hot pursuit some time after that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
OoooKkkkk.... I guess this is in the wrong section. Not one person in 50 with an opinion on this round. I see...

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might post it in the What is it section, it'll get more views there. I don't know enough about those bullets to tell you one way or the other.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We need better measurements and a look at the base. Nice find though!
Mike

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
if it's just a tad over .50, it could be a .54 minie....it's somewhat shortened because it looks like it was rammed home very hard. Possible it's a .58 that was forced into a .54 barrel. Could be either side.

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks... I'll add some pics and put it up in the "What Is It?".

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great backstory to go with a great find. You made it very interesting!

Jhampton

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if you have any new info on the bullet since your original post? I just received permission to MD this property and although I wasn't there long today, I did find the same exact bullet and am also looking for info about this. Thanks!

Grunter

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battle of Cove Mountain Va

I believe the bullet to be a Confederate Gardner bullet. I have several just like it. I was in the Cove Mountain area today just chasing a little history. I would love to hunt this area. Can you fellas give me any advice as to who to ask and where to hunt. I've been hunting the Cloyds Mountain area and have had some success. I would love to hunt around Wytheville on Tazewell St. and other areas if you can steer me in the right direction.:thumbsup:

Just wondering if you have any new info on the bullet since your original post? I just received permission to MD this property and although I wasn't there long today, I did find the same exact bullet and am also looking for info about this. Thanks!

Grunter

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad on that call it is a 3 ring Federal bullet. Most likely it is a Washington Arsenal bullet with a star in the base.

swVa

Feb 16, 2015
Christiansburg Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to try to hunt the Cloyds Mountian site soon if any one has some contact information for permission. I am relatively new and was wondering what you all found at Cloyds or Cove. Thanks!

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coming from the Chattanooga,TN area, I like setting up relic cases based on the action in an area. I never could just "throw them in a bucket or pile." HH

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
From Pearisburg to Dublin, Virginia on Rt. 100, before you cross the mountain at Cloyd's Mtn, there's a historical marker on the East side of Rt. 100 noting a location for turn of the century tent revivals. I never could pin down who to contact to search that area. Perhaps a clue for someone else's adventure....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread