What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Battle of Petersburg find

cjsutton1

Greenie
Joined
Apr 29, 2017
Messages
11
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
LaGrange, KY
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this at a Civil War site in/near Petersburg, VA and need help identifying it before I continue cleaning it. It’s largely made of iron but has a green patina’d nub in the center. My initial thoughts are that it’s some type of clasp or closure hardware. Beyond knowing what it is, I’m trying to figure out if it is 1 piece or if it’s 2 separate pieces that are currently held together by rust. Any help is appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2568.webp
    IMG_2568.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2569.webp
    IMG_2569.webp
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2570.webp
    IMG_2570.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2571.webp
    IMG_2571.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2572.webp
    IMG_2572.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2573.webp
    IMG_2573.webp
    1 MB · Views: 69
I found this at a Civil War site in/near Petersburg, VA and need help identifying it before I continue cleaning it. It’s largely made of iron but has a green patina’d nub in the center. My initial thoughts are that it’s some type of clasp or closure hardware. Beyond knowing what it is, I’m trying to figure out if it is 1 piece or if it’s 2 separate pieces that are currently held together by rust. Any help is appreciated.
Almost looks like a bottle opener
 
Upvote 0
It wouldn't surprise me to find that it is the bail attachment to an artillery tar bucket.
 
Upvote 0
It wouldn't surprise me to find that it is the bail attachment to an artillery tar bucket.
I will definitely look into that. I know without a doubt that there were a few cannon entrenchments very nearby.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom