detectorFRED
Full Member
- Joined
- Dec 21, 2012
- Messages
- 136
- Reaction score
- 172
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Upstate New York
- Detector(s) used
- Treasure Hunter 3300, Dousing Rods, Automatic Writing, The Outsiders (UCAs)
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
What Is This? Possible Clasped Medallion / Locket / Watch Fob?
Hey everyone — looking for help identifying this piece I recently recovered.
I found this object while detecting and at first thought it was just a mineralized clump, but after gentle cleaning the shape and construction look intentional.
🔎 Observations
- Roughly coin-sized and circular
- Appears two-sided, with a possible seam around the edge
- Has what looks like a small hollow loop / attachment point at the top (possibly for a chain)
- The surface is heavily mineralized with soil and iron staining
- Side view suggests it may be two halves pressed together
- Interior texture (where chipped) looks like compacted corrosion rather than solid stone
Because of these features, I’m wondering if this could be:
- a clasped medallion / locket
- a small photo holder
- a watch fob pendant
- possibly a religious or memorial keepsake
- or even a powder / pill container type pendant
But I’m completely open to other ideas — including the possibility that it’s something totally different.
🤔 Questions
- Does the seam and top loop suggest a locket or watch fob construction?
- Any tips on safe cleaning to reveal detail without damaging it?
- Does the corrosion pattern look like copper alloy, plated iron, or something else?
- Has anyone dug similar pieces that looked like this before cleaning?
I’ve attached multiple angles including edge views showing the seam and the attachment loop.
Any help or comparable finds would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
















