Mnruxpin:
The Excalibur was designed for diving, not shallow water hunting, uses earlier Sovereign technology (BBS). Since the circuit boards had to be redesigned to fit in a hardened POD housing to function at diving depths, it does not have all of the capability of the Sovereign. I stress diving, rather than shallow water hunting, as the exposed cabling between the battery and control pods as well as the cabling from the control pod to the search coil are in my opinion it's archilies heal.
As you may already know,The Sovereign which supports different coil sizes as well as head phones is an excellent land hunter.
Plus you could easily add additional capability when needed/desired such as a VDI display for target identification, an In line probe,
which could be switched on to locate targets in the hole or between narrow cracks in rocks, and an audio amplifier to boost whisper signals from deeper targets. Not many treasure hunters know it, but you could even order a concentric coil, I have one, for more precise pin pointing and greater depth than with the standard Double D search coil.
Unfortunately, this all will be history after the supply of parts for the Sovereign GT dries up (in 5 to 7 years - my guess) - after that it will only be possible to repair this detector thru canalbilzed parts. Worse the secondary parts suppliers, stopped support of the GT earlier as some of the parts they needed were only available from Minelab.
Minelab claims they stopped production of the Sovereign GT because of poor sales, which is not surprising as they
stopped advertising it far earlier.
Instead of updating, the design of the Excalibur to Sovereign GT performance, and increasing the flexibility by supporting different coil sizes and head phones thru use of water proof connectors plus adding a pin point switch in the handle to be able to rapidly switch between discrimination and all metal modes, they came out with a heavier. more expensive design the All Terrain CTX 3030 which in my opinion excels in hunting on land and at salt water beaches but is marginal, at best for shallow water hunting.
For me the ergonomics of the CTX 3030 are poor for shallow water hunting: I like to use a longer shaft for better balance and do like having to sweep the search coil in a bent forward position in the water to read the display. Plus this visual display is difficult to read unless shaded from sunlight, worst of all - the display cannot be used wearing polaroid sunglasses, I cannot even use sun glasses unless they prescription as my eyesight has deteriorated with age along with other physical capabilities. The wider thicker lower shaft does not cut through the water well (high drag - it is not even smooth), the cams and shafts will stick if sand gets in.
I use the CTX 3030 only in protected waters, and rarely submerge it - it is a fragile design at best (O ring seal, USB connector, Pin Point boot cover), definitely not one that I would use where there were waves or strong currents. Other than for the above limited constraints, I love this machine for its superior sensitivity, and selectivity, plus you can actually change the signal processing to meet specific beach conditions. To me it provides additional capabilities and is an alternative, not a substitute for the Excalibur.
Since, I purchased the CTX 3030, primarily to be able to detect smaller targets, such as Roman Coins and hammered silver coins,
I will most likely post, the success of such hunts under Claddus Maximus and hopefully come up a more descriptive avatar such as pictures of my two favorite detectors the Excalibur ll on the left side and the CTX 303O on the right side of my harness.
Who knows, maybe when they haul me off from being in the sun too long or from euphoria from finally finding something of value I will hear the approval from the crowds chanting: Maximus, Maximus, Maximus. Most likely, I will not have to wait that long once
my children discover how much I spent in the pursuit of ever diminishing returns(lol).
personally I dont like the excal on land, its the only machine I have right now. most excal guys wont go on land, it doesnt pinpoint well and you would make a mess. So just he beach for me