What's new

Beach replenishment question

Heavygold4me

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
539
Reaction score
1,833
Golden Thread
0
Location
South mississippi
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know there are a lot of factors to take into consideration, but in general how long before a beach is productive again after replenishment? Here on the gulf coast of mississippi they are doing a complete replenishment program. It’s supposed to take 16 months to complete. One of my more productive areas now has at least 5 feet of sand pumped in and has been extended out 285 feet from the sea wall . The sand is coming from I’m guessing about a quarter mile offshore, I’m really not expecting any good targets to be pumped in. Aside from fresh drops what should I expect? We have a fair amount of tourists come here and go to the beach, but nothing like Alabama or Florida.
Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
Upvote 0
What 100 years can do to a beach with man involved.. OC Md 1925 ...1965...and 2025
1925  1965  2025 OC MD.webp
 
I only hunt the dry if it’s to rough to get in the water, my knees won’t last but a couple of hours in the dry.
Walking on dry sand for hours at a time is rough on the legs, knees, feet. I switched from land to beach hunting about 15 years ago and primarily hunted the dry when I first started. After about 2 years of hunting the dry every weekend, my calve muscles were bulging, and I got to the point where I could hunt the dry for 4, 6, 8 hours no problem. Can't do that now, lol.

But you don't always have to hunt the dry or get into water, there's also the wet that can be a goldmine. Start at the top of the wet and work your way down as the tide recedes. Walking on compacted, wet sand is a lot smoother & easier on your feet & legs than walking in dry sand or walking in the water. You can still venture a wee bit into water; I usually only go as far as knee deep. There's still rushing water to deal with, but that's much easier than being chest/neck deep and dealing with crashing waves, bobbing up and down, and keeping an eye out for large toothy critters. 🦈
 
What is wet now, was underwater at hightide, and I prefer hunting in the water when possible.

The only problem for me is closest beaches to me are North and Central Florida Atlantic beaches (hour drive), and they can have some pretty rough surf a lot more often than our southern Atlantic beaches or gulf beaches. Any surf over 3 ft becomes a real pain in the butt to stay over target to recover a signal.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom