Sep 2, 2009
Concord, NC
Upvote 0

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
One thing it depends on is where you are digging. On a hilltop bedrock is near. If in a valley, some distance away.

Get a surficial geologic map.

Ultimately geophysics would be necessary.

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Bedrock is typically deep in your area of NC. I was in Rutherfordton NC on Saturday at Heather Grove Gold Mine. A couple of guys dredging in the creek there were at 14ft and had still not hit the bedrock. They were finding some nice pickers along the way, but they were having to work for them.

OP
OP
goldfever1978

goldfever1978

Sep 2, 2009
Concord, NC
killian110 said:
Bedrock is typically deep in your area of NC. I was in Rutherfordton NC on Saturday at Heather Grove Gold Mine. A couple of guys dredging in the creek there were at 14ft and had still not hit the bedrock. They were finding some nice pickers along the way, but they were having to work for them.

Killian,

That is what i was afraid of. Since I'm only panning/sleucing, I don't know how I would ever get down there. How was the Heather Grove? I tried a spot out near Cotton Patch and all i found was a little flour.

autopilot42

Greenie
Sep 5, 2009
I am relatively new to panning and sluicing but the one thing I have found is their is either gold or no gold. I have never hit bedrock except in the river that all the streams I prospect in flow into except for one stream. Most of the steams I prospect have a distinct clay layer that the gold will lie upon. You will have to dig ab it of overburden to get to it. I will take some photo's of what has worked for me and post them. This is possibly only in the area I am prospecting in. What works in one place may not work in another area of the country. It might also depend if you are below an old mine or if it is natural eroding gold from the creek bed itself or placier.

Take care
Bob

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Bedrock can be rock, clay, or calichi soil. Some places have 3 or 4 layers of bedrock or clay layers. Examples of this are found in Spring Valley, NV and Rabbithole, NV.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions