Been too long since a hunt like this - warning lots of pics!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this year has been really bad for me and metal detecting. Every time I planned to hunt, more work came up to get in the way. Most of the hunts I did do were short and didnt produce good finds. Finally, yesterday my work took me to another town and a place I had good great success in the past. This is a place that was pounded hard. We didn't hunt anywhere else until finally stopped producing. I haven't even wanted to try here in over a year because the last hunts were dead. But I was back and willing to try.

My first find, almost immediately was an early wheat cent which gave me hope for more old coins still waiting. A minute later I hit my first silver dime.
dime1.jpg

Just a few swings later I hit a funky signal. The numbers were jumping around but the tone was solid and clear and no hint of iron so I decided to investigate. After all I had already pounded all the solid target in the past, it was time for "iffy" ones. When I dug I found the Washington in the dirt spoil but still has a target in the hole. That turned out to be an 07 V-nickle! I don't know if they were lost together of if it was just coincidence. The V certainly has the look of a long dirt nap.
nickle 2fer.jpg

A few more steps an I hit another solid mid-tone target. After the last target a few seconds ago, I had to dig one too. When I saw this in the dirt pile, my reaction was "that cant be. It's got to be a brass pressure swage fitting. When I picked it up I was shock! I couldn't believe I had just dug a nice chunky gold band! No hint of browning or flaking that plated rings have. I knew immediately it was real gold. It wasn't alone, it had an iron friend all these years.
gold dirt.jpg gold nail.jpg

A few more feet turned up my second silver and first merc for the day. This little beauty was completely vertical in ground.
merc1.jpg

I was really shocked at this first MINUTES of the hunt. I have hunted here dozens of times. I've dug other silvers and wheats RIGHT HERE. I've swung over this spot many many times. How is it that these were all missed? I think some times the moon and stars and detector all align just right!

After that, the finds slowed but didn't end.

merc2.jpg buffy.jpg v nick.jpg merc3.jpg

I stayed until sunset and an incoming storm told I had to head home. I want so bad to be back there hunting right now. Losing a good hunt day because I have to work this Sunday. I will be back though, I will be back ASAP!

So here are the total goodies from a 6 hour hunt. 4 silvers, 2 V-Nicks, 1 Buffy, 2 old age tax tokens (1 and 5 mil), 7 wheats, 1 gold ring, one smashed play ring (possibly tin??), a #6 or #9 die stamp, and a jewelry pin of some type.
hunt total.jpg

Lots of trash today too. Normally the iron doesn't fool me anywhere near this bad, but I wasn't going to change settings when the silver is rolling in! A small handful of clad coins from the hunt too. most were extremely shallow which is why I probably passed them up on previous hunts.
hunt trash.jpg

I'm still scratching my head a bit on the gold ring. There isn't a karat stamp in it. It has what looks like it might be hallmarks but I can't make heads or tails of what they are supposed to be. If they are hallmarks, this would be the oldest gold I've ever dug! The ring has what looks like hand tooled lines on the edges, or maybe thats all that left of original all-over design? :dontknow:
gold top.jpg gold stamp.jpg

Upvote 56

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Wow. Are you sure you didn't turn right instead of left at some point and accidentally end up on virgin territory?

You mentioned the iron doesn't usually fool you. Sounds like maybe the iron has been fooling you but no longer. What a day!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as I read it " this ring belongs to jeff-gordon"

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Anytime you get gold and silver in the same hunt, is a good time, congrats :thumbsup:

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Im in total agreement about the stars and moon and space weather affecting our defectors. I also think how moist the ground is plays a role in how deep we can get or how well we can pull things from iron. congrats on the GOLD!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this year has been really bad for me and metal detecting. Every time I planned to hunt, more work came up to get in the way. Most of the hunts I did do were short and didnt produce good finds. Finally, yesterday my work took me to another town and a place I had good great success in the past. This is a place that was pounded hard. We didn't hunt anywhere else until finally stopped producing. I haven't even wanted to try here in over a year because the last hunts were dead. But I was back and willing to try.

My first find, almost immediately was an early wheat cent which gave me hope for more old coins still waiting. A minute later I hit my first silver dime.
View attachment 1504635

Just a few swings later I hit a funky signal. The numbers were jumping around but the tone was solid and clear and no hint of iron so I decided to investigate. After all I had already pounded all the solid target in the past, it was time for "iffy" ones. When I dug I found the Washington in the dirt spoil but still has a target in the hole. That turned out to be an 07 V-nickle! I don't know if they were lost together of if it was just coincidence. The V certainly has the look of a long dirt nap.
View attachment 1504636

A few more steps an I hit another solid mid-tone target. After the last target a few seconds ago, I had to dig one too. When I saw this in the dirt pile, my reaction was "that cant be. It's got to be a brass pressure swage fitting. When I picked it up I was shock! I couldn't believe I had just dug a nice chunky gold band! No hint of browning or flaking that plated rings have. I knew immediately it was real gold. It wasn't alone, it had an iron friend all these years.
View attachment 1504639 View attachment 1504643

A few more feet turned up my second silver and first merc for the day. This little beauty was completely vertical in ground.
View attachment 1504644

I was really shocked at this first MINUTES of the hunt. I have hunted here dozens of times. I've dug other silvers and wheats RIGHT HERE. I've swung over this spot many many times. How is it that these were all missed? I think some times the moon and stars and detector all align just right!

After that, the finds slowed but didn't end.

View attachment 1504645 View attachment 1504648 View attachment 1504651 View attachment 1504655

I stayed until sunset and an incoming storm told I had to head home. I want so bad to be back there hunting right now. Losing a good hunt day because I have to work this Sunday. I will be back though, I will be back ASAP!

So here are the total goodies from a 6 hour hunt. 4 silvers, 2 V-Nicks, 1 Buffy, 2 old age tax tokens (1 and 5 mil), 7 wheats, 1 gold ring, one smashed play ring (possibly tin??), a #6 or #9 die stamp, and a jewelry pin of some type.
View attachment 1504657

Lots of trash today too. Normally the iron doesn't fool me anywhere near this bad, but I wasn't going to change settings when the silver is rolling in! A small handful of clad coins from the hunt too. most were extremely shallow which is why I probably passed them up on previous hunts.
View attachment 1504658

I'm still scratching my head a bit on the gold ring. There isn't a karat stamp in it. It has what looks like it might be hallmarks but I can't make heads or tails of what they are supposed to be. If they are hallmarks, this would be the oldest gold I've ever dug! The ring has what looks like hand tooled lines on the edges, or maybe thats all that left of original all-over design? :dontknow:
View attachment 1504661 View attachment 1504662

Yo Jason , :o

That is one ridiculous array of stunning finds ! The vertical merc brings back memories .

Those landing to rest "straight up " is a most freaky occurrence , just no way to explain how spooky that is but don't mistake me for someone who ponders about weird stuff .

Tonight being Halloween is weird enough .... have a good one and

Thanks for the enjoyable thread !

daWg

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't post pics from the return trip! Must have been the late night and driving home through a storm. Anyway, here are the finds from the 2nd hunt.

hunt2.jpg

so that would be 11 silvers (10 dimes, 1 jewelry) and honking gold ring from a place I have pounded in the past. Still more ground left to re-hunt so I'm going back when I have the chance!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions