What's new

Beer Barrel?

HunterII

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
46
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this yesterday; made in LaCrosse, WI; any ideas on it's age? Unable to recover it as it's on usfws property.
 
Upvote 2
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448937095.530212.webp
 
Certainly a cool looking thing, wouldn't mind finding it! :thumbsup:
 
my first thought would be part of an old steam engine, but that's purely a guess. could you tell if the ends are open or closed?
 
The more visible end is closed has some stamping on it could make out LaCrosse
 
Looks like a pony keg (held just shy of 8 gallon, half the size of full-sized kegs). Not that I have knowledge of that sort of thing :laughing7:
 
I would think a beer barrel would have the spigot hole closer to the bottom. They are losing half a barrel of beer according to the location of that hole.
 
There are at least a couple (and I'm sure more), Heineken and Fosters are 2 that come to mind, who make really small "kegs", which are more like an extremely large can of beer.


I would think a beer barrel would have the spigot hole closer to the bottom. They are losing half a barrel of beer according to the location of that hole.

How does beer come out of a keg with the tap on top?
 
I would think a beer barrel would have the spigot hole closer to the bottom. They are losing half a barrel of beer according to the location of that hole.

Back in the 70's kegs had holes in the center that were sealed with a cork. Presumably the fill hole, as I believe the kegs were filled on their sides.

I know this because after we blew one keg at a party we got another one but it was a different brand of beer. The tap we had didn't fit. We laid the keg on it's side, cork up. We knocked the cork out and poured the beer out through the hole. We wasted a lot but we were drunk enough not to care.
 
It is pony barrel size, does look like iron??? Tried pulling it out but the ground is frozen. The visible hole is the fill hole and referred to as the bung hole.
 
it looks like the end of a ww2 target bomb.i have found 25lb ones
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom