pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I dug this interesting token today (and of course, scratched it)...
Has anyone seen this one before?

IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to hazard a guess that it is from Chicago, IL, but that is just based on the style and the street address. I have looked a bit, but have not yet found a reference, but Chicago references from the Post-Prohibition era are scarce. Please consider posting it on tokencatalog.com
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I just sent my registration info. for tokencatalog.com. Interesting site; makes me want to dig up more tokens! ^_^

This token was found in a LA county park, which I believe opened up in the '50s. Buried about 3-4" down, my SilverSabre was sounding off like I had a quarter. Since I have found a few '50s wheaties there, I expect to find a little silver... Happy with cool tokens, too.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Belmont Avenue in Fresno California?? a google street view of that address shows an older business district.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know, but apparently Chicago does have a Belmont / Clark intersection. Guessing Chicago is correct, but wondering how it ended up where I found it.. ^_^

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe Belmont Avenue in Fresno California?? a google street view of that address shows an older business district.

Villagenut may be on to something. Interesting enough, here in Fresno, Belmont Avenue crosses both Clark Avenue and Recreation Avenue. However, when looking at the address of 851 Belmont (now East Belmont since the city has grown), it is on the corner of Belmont and Fulton Avenue. This was in the middle of a populated area back in the early 1900s. In fact, in the 1920s there used to be a popular rail line that went from Roeding Park to the San Joaquin River where dances and gatherings were held. This line ran along Fulton and Van Ness Avenues and along the route there were many stores, bars, etc. I would say that it's entirely possible that this coin is from Fresno, but further research would have to be done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, it would be cool if it turned out to be in Fresno, but I don't think so... Looking at Google Earth, the address of 851 Belmont Ave., just happens to be at the corner of Clark... "BEL-CLARK".
Still odd it was found out here at an LA county park, but people do get around. I wonder when bel-clark recreation was open, what kind of place it was, and when this token dates from. My (wild) guess is 1950s, as that's when I think this park opened up.

BTW - it looks as though that 851 Belmont Ave. in Chicago address, is now the location of "The Annoyance Theater and Bar"... They've been there for 25 years.

Last edited:

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, it would be cool if it turned out to be in Fresno, but I don't think so... Looking at Google Earth, the address of 851 Belmont Ave., just happens to be at the corner of Clark... "BEL-CLARK".
Still odd it was found out here at an LA county park, but people do get around. I wonder when bel-clark recreation was open, what kind of place it was, and when this token dates from. My (wild) guess is 1950s, as that's when I think this park opened up.

BTW - it looks as though that 851 Belmont Ave. in Chicago address, is now the location of "The Annoyance Theater and Bar"... They've been there for 25 years.

Well now you have me curious. I work directly across the street from Fresno's main library and I know that they have a good amount of old publications, phone books and other historical documents in their "research room". I'll be out of town for a few days but later this week I'll go over there and check to see if I can by chance find out anything. You are probably right in that it's from Chicago though.

I'm not sure why Google earth is giving you an intersection of Belmont and Clark for 851 Belmont. That's actually the 2000 block of East Belmont. Regardless of it all, it's a cool token and congrats on finding it. Personally, I'd much rather find an old token than a silver coin any day.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just uploaded pics, description and measurements to tokencatalog.com. Maybe someone will recognize it. ^_^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread