Belleek Neptune 7958

Ristina121

Nov 6, 2022
Hi all new here. I have had this set for 40 years, It was to my knowledge originally a gift to my late grandparents for their wedding in the early 1900. This is the only history I have on it. It could be Neptune Belleek. Underside markings on cups or saucers are Black or brown spot on individual pieces with the number 7958 imprinted faded so hard to see. Fragile so was always kept and never used. Would appreciate any information on same. It is a full set 17 piecies
IMG20221106112235.jpg
IMG20221106112100.jpg
IMG20221106111438.jpg

Solution
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Upvote 0
Solution

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Very pretty and, although collectable in its own rite, I don’t think this is a Belleek piece. Although the style and colour of the mark vary with time period, their pieces are always trademarked… even the early pieces. Like this Neptune pattern cup for example (“second period” green mark):

Belleek.jpg

Belleek’s export business was so successful that, during the first part of the 1900s, their pieces were heavily copied by American producers. Belleek were well aware of this and one of their advertising straplines (in relation to the presence of their trademark) became “Without Which None Is Genuine”. Copyists responded by faking their trademarks too. The copies and fakes are often distinguished by being thicker, with drips or flaws in the glaze, and a lack of subtlety in the colour gradations of the pearly sheen.

I would think a full set would still be highly desirable to a collector, despite being a copy.

Upvote 1

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
Something tells me(shiny rainbow gloss effect type of glass is much more modern) they are French and much newer than you think, may be called "Federal Milk Glass" 1960's-80's?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread